Live rock question

r3dc4t

I have a 20 gallon tank with 20 lbs of LR and roughly 15 lbs of LS, but my LS was store bought and probably wasn't alive any longer, and I'm afraid that a lot of my LR died off. I know i used to see copeopods in my tank and no longer do. Also have noticed the disappearance of other organisms, the names of which i don't know.
I'm guessing the only good way to regain this life is by ordering new LR from the same region. But does anyone know of a good place to order an assortment of LR weighing no more than 20lbs.?
Also is it unusual to just start seeing Macro-Algae after the tanks been running for 6 months? I just adjusted my LR placements and noticed a few days later that i have what looks to be Dictyosphaeria versluysii starting to develop (google it: yeah that took me a while to research and find, and i still may be wrong but its the closest i've found so far.)
thanks,
Chris

zeroc

little things dying off (or being eaten to extinction) is not uncommon. The more important organisms that live on and in live rock is the bacteria that you can't see and if you've been running for 6 months and all your inhabitants seem happy then that bacteria is alive and well. Also algae laying dormant and suddenly popping up is also a common occurrence, usually means that you have too much organic food in the water.

r3dc4t

Originally Posted by ninjamini
How long is this tank set up?
6 months maybe a little longer...

r3dc4t

Originally Posted by ZeroC
little things dying off (or being eaten to extinction) is not uncommon. The more important organisms that live on and in live rock is the bacteria that you can't see and if you've been running for 6 months and all your inhabitants seem happy then that bacteria is alive and well. Also algae laying dormant and suddenly popping up is also a common occurrence, usually means that you have too much organic food in the water.
Thanks. Glad its not uncommon for the algae, it just struck me as odd and figured i'd ask. But I'd still like to know if anyone knows where i can get a diversity of LR.

al mc

If your water parameters (ph, S.G., temp., ammonia, nitrites and nitrates) are
all 'good' then there is something alive in the sand, rock and/or filter material.
zeros thought of things being eaten is an avenue to explore depending on your other fish/invert inhabitants.

r3dc4t

Originally Posted by Al Mc
If your water parameters (ph, S.G., temp., ammonia, nitrites and nitrates) are
all 'good' then there is something alive in the sand, rock and/or filter material.
zeros thought of things being eaten is an avenue to explore depending on your other fish/invert inhabitants.
not quite sure what that last part means but yeah, I've had a fish die in my tank recently after changing my rock formation around and my ammonia levels have remained minimal, My temp is constant, ph is stable and 'good', S.G., trates, and trites are all normal and stable.

r3dc4t

Originally Posted by alix2.0
saltwaterfish.com

I would buy from saltwaterfish.com but i want a diversity of LR without ordering 20 lbs. of each rock. Oh and i forgot that they only have fiji LR.

r3dc4t

Originally Posted by alix2.0
we cant post links to competitor sites.
I've mentioned competitor sites before just not a link. Anyway I'm not buying any more of the same LR that I have (LR from saltwaterfish.com). So they aren't getting my business for that unless they offer me a diverse selection which they don't have so they won't. I don't mean to sound like a jerk but either way they can't lose business they don't have. They will get plenty of my business when I have more money to spend and get larger tanks. This is my first Saltwater tank, but certainly not my last, and I'm hoping to keep this one running a long time.
If you would like to help me out but want to avoid other people seeing it; there are private messages. I don't want to take business away from swf.com either, but I'm sure they understand that if they don't have what someone specifically wants then they aren't going to get that business. But like I said Private message me if you don't want to offer the information to everyone, otherwise I will keep looking and posting on other sites. If I never find what I am looking for I will live without it. I have all the live rock I need for my 20 gallon tank I was just looking to change some of it out and diversifying my tank.

earlybird

Originally Posted by r3dc4t
I've mentioned competitor sites before just not a link. Anyway I'm not buying any more of the same LR that I have (LR from saltwaterfish.com). So they aren't getting my business for that unless they offer me a diverse selection which they don't have so they won't. I don't mean to sound like a jerk but either way they can't lose business they don't have. They will get plenty of my business when I have more money to spend and get larger tanks. This is my first Saltwater tank, but certainly not my last, and I'm hoping to keep this one running a long time.
If you would like to help me out but want to avoid other people seeing it; there are private messages. I don't want to take business away from swf.com either, but I'm sure they understand that if they don't have what someone specifically wants then they aren't going to get that business. But like I said Private message me if you don't want to offer the information to everyone, otherwise I will keep looking and posting on other sites. If I never find what I am looking for I will live without it. I have all the live rock I need for my 20 gallon tank I was just looking to change some of it out and diversifying my tank.
There are tons of sites and you'll just have to search for yourself. Here's my understanding of competitor websites. Even though swf doesn't sell tonga or caribbean I don't know of a site that sells only that. Most sell a variety of things and if there's one thing or even an advertisement for another site that sells a variety of things that compete with what swf has. Hope that makes sense.

alix2.0

I've mentioned competitor sites before just not a link. i dont think we can do this either. notice that the E site gets dashed out. Anyway I'm not buying any more of the same LR that I have (LR from saltwaterfish.com). So they aren't getting my business for that unless they offer me a diverse selection which they don't have so they won't. I don't mean to sound like a jerk but either way they can't lose business they don't have. one of the reasons for not posting competitor sites is that if they sell ANYTHING that swf sells, this makes them a competitor that could draw business away from swf. just because you arent clicking on the link, doesnt mean that nobody else is.They will get plenty of my business when I have more money to spend and get larger tanks. This is my first Saltwater tank, but certainly not my last, and I'm hoping to keep this one running a long time.
If you would like to help me out but want to avoid other people seeing it; there are private messages. supposedly someone reads all the private messages, and its against forum rules to ask someone to PM you a competitor link I don't want to take business away from swf.com either, but I'm sure they understand that if they don't have what someone specifically wants then they aren't going to get that business. But like I said Private message me if you don't want to offer the information to everyone, otherwise I will keep looking and posting on other sites. If I never find what I am looking for I will live without it. I have all the live rock I need for my 20 gallon tank I was just looking to change some of it out and diversifying my tank.
alix