live rock question

I bought a clam on sunday and re-homed my spiny black urchin an chocolate star fish to a 10 gallon tank until I was able to put them in my empty 55 gallon where their permament home would be. I used water from my 125g tank where the urchin and star fish lived for several years to put in the 10 gallon tank. Used a spare heater and scrumaged around to find a bio wheel filter that worked to filter the 10 gallon tank. I tried 2 filters and couldn't get them to filter and finally got a 3rd one to work. I put in a new filter pad with carbon in it and my urchin and star fish died on wednesday.
It is possible that the filter I used was used in a quaranteen tank and had macaryn remains in the filter which would explain the deaths. I simply can't remember. It is possible that in my scrummaging around for a working filter that the filter wasn't cleaned before adding it to the tank. It would have been used on a freshwater and/or gold fish tank prior. The tanks were healthy. Other than that I am clueless why the two died.
Here is my question. I put a nice piece of live rock in with them. If something contaminated my 10 gallon and killed my star fish such as a dirty filter or even medicine, can I put the live rock piece back in my 125g or will I be putting the whole tank at risk.
I didn't check the water levels of the small tank because the urchin and star were dead for about 12 hours before it was noticed and the water going in was good because it came from my 125g and everything is doing really well even the new clam. That water tests perfectly.
So do I throw out the LR or is their something I can do to make it safe to return to my 125g

salt life

hmm, not too sure but I will try to help out. If you think the filter could have been used in a tank with a chemical, then that is possible, inverts are very sensitive when it comes to dosing meds. For the live rock, I would put it in a
5g bucket with water from your 125 and cure it for a couple days and then you should be fine. or you can scrub the rock down in freshwater, boil it, dry it out in the sun, and you will have a piece of base rock and over time it will become "live" again.

Thanks!! I will do one of those! It will forever remain a mystery as to what happened to the urchin and star. I just want to be sure the LR is safe for a re-entry into my display tank.