Live rock question

kingzfan

I have a question regarding setting up a reef tank. I finally convinced my GF to let me go back to Salt...:D . My question is...is it better to with all Fiji live rock. I found a place that has uncured Carribbean Live rock. This is uncured..but much less expensive. Would it be bad to use about 25lbs of this and 25lbs of Fiji live rock??? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for everything

brinkdrum

It wouldn't be bad to mix them. Figi is the most widely used because of its light weight, its shapes and its colors. It all depends on what you like. Just be aware some rocks may be heavier than others.

serpentine5

You would probably have a nice colorful set up with the mixture of rock. Just allow the tank to cycle completly before you add any livestock. You said your GF was allowing you to go back to SW, so I am assuming you already knew this but assumptions are things that cause trouble. Good luck to you in your new set up.

flydan

Hey,
I agree that a nice mix of lr is a good thing in a reef setup. To save lots of cash, put a base of tufa rock or lace rock down and then stack the nice lr on top of that. The tufa/lace rock that is exposed will become lr over time. That way you don't bury lr on the bottom of your reef.
HTH,
Dan'l