live rock questions

clownsrcoo

Is their anyhting speacial u have to do to keep live rock?
Do u have to feed it anything?
Do u have to acclimate it?
What does cured rock mean?
please tell me anything u can about it.:help: :sleepy: :confused:

manjisann

If you keep your water parameters at what you need to keep the fish and have decent lighting live rock will do just fine. As far as feeding it anything, not really, live rock just means rock that comes from the ocean with bacteria and other life on it. As far as acclimation, you can acclimate it, but if you are just starting your system and getting the nitrogen cycle going there isn't really much point. I beleive cultured live rock (anyone correct me if I am wrong:D ) is rock that was stuck in the ocean for a couple of years to be populated by bacteria, coraline algea etc., and then removed and sold. An excellent example is Florida live rock, for the most part it is illegal to remove rock from the reefs in Florida, but some companies stick fossilized coral rock (sorry not a very good description) in the ocean for 2 to 4 years for life to populate it then remove it and sell it as Florida live rock. Hope this was helpful.

duke13

Live rock is a most if you're cycling your tank (getting it ready for fish) for the first time. Feed wise, it all depends on the critters that come with your live rock. Sponges, anenomes, worms (featherdusters, etc.) can live on your rock. Most of them pretty filter feed, however it doesn't hurt to add some plankton (you can buy it in bottle form).
As for acclimating, I have never acclimated any rock that I put in my tank - it really doesn't need it.
Of course, there are exceptions, like a special critter on the rock that you very much want to keep alive (however, most things that live on the rock are tough as nails).