live rock questions

mike35019

If I do buy the LR online and it shows up at my house it will have to be cured right? So this will not really make a difference b/c I'm going to cycle my tank for the first time. I plan on filling up the tank about 3/4 with the saltwater, get the powerheads and emp 400 up and running. Then do I place the LR in the tank and then put the LS around the rock, or can I dump all the LS in and place the LR on top. Whats the best way to do it?
Another thing that has me puzzled is if i'm going to cycle my tank with uncured LR, do I still need to add the raw shrimp to "jumpstart" the cycle, how many shrimp for 55 gal.
:notsure:

mudplayerx

You can dump all the sand and liverock into the tank while you are cycling. I don't think the shrimp is necessary with all the uncured rock.

kcobain111

the way i did it was i put the sand in AFTER RINSING IT!..which i did not but you should..then i added the rock and some mollies wich i now don't agree with it's been about 3 weeks and my tank is almost cycled i cycled the tank with about 70lbs of live rock and no live sand

vmarius1

IF you will be using uncured LR, be prepared for a major stink in the house. It will also take the better part of a month with frequent water changes and more frequent removal of the LR to yank out all of the goo from the dead corals, anemonies, etc.....not pleasant. Cured LR will cycle in about a week + and will be a lot less offensive to you and your family.

shep77

I would suggest putting something on the bottom of your tank to support the rock and place the rock on top of it. On the board people have called it egg crate but it is similar to the grates that are found in schools beneath the flourescent lights. That way critters can not burrow under and tip your rock piles.