Live Rock questions

mecc

Ok now that I have my Bio cube and I'd like to do a small reef. I have questions before I start getting things really going with it
I saw both online here and at the store I went to last night alot of different kinds of live rock.
What is the difference other than where it can from?
Do certain things like certain rock?
What are typical prices for live rock that I should be expecting?
Are there any water requirements for the different rock?

9supratt4

Rock is rock

Figi rock is usually more porous than other rock. Tonga branch rock is branch like pieces, etc, etc. There is no difference except for where it came from and what it looks like. The best pieces of rock, no matter where it's from, is that the rock is a lot lighter than it looks. This means it is very porous, which will allow water to getthrough the rock and grow bacteria.
There are no requirements regarding rock. You want to keep the water just like you would if you had fish or coral. The price you are going to pay at an LFS is much higher than you can find online. The stores near me sell it at 8.99-12.99 per pound.

deon nyc

where are u located if you are within the nyc area their is a place that sells it for 3.99 a lbs in queens.
rock is rock. its all depends on the look yuo are goin for and how much you are will to spend for it. different rock cost different prices.

mecc

I live in kansas away from any ocean... therefore prices here are high, I seen it from 10.99-15.99 per pound I was hoping maybe theres a better website for live rock prices. I have some base rock but I'm really not to keen on using it due to where I got it from. I really don't think he knew what he was doing. He told me that even though the rock had been dry for some time it was still alive....
ok time to lay off the smack!
Any way I have it in some water with a powerhead in a bucket. left it there for a few hours while we were out. it has stunk up the whole house. I'm thinking this stuff needs to go away!
*edit* ok that has gone outside couldn't deal with the terrible smell!
I do have a question, I saw some pics of tanks and setups and some of them have that "egg crate" light diffuser what ever it's called underneath the live rock, What is the reasoning or thoughts on some people using it and others do not? is it more to protect the glass or does it serve a different purpose? Do you put it only under the live rock or on the floor of the whole tank?

C

clslvr6spd

I don't use it on the bottom. I think must people use the egg crate on the bottom in case you have a rock fall it doesn't break the bottom glass. If there are other reason I am interested to find out.

mecc

That makes sense during the setup phase, I could see some one stacking rock and it's not set right and tumbles.

scopus tang

Originally Posted by Mecc
http:///forum/post/3164902
Any way I have it in some water with a powerhead in a bucket. left it there for a few hours while we were out. it has stunk up the whole house. I'm thinking this stuff needs to go away!
*edit* ok that has gone outside couldn't deal with the terrible smell!
I do have a question, I saw some pics of tanks and setups and some of them have that "egg crate" light diffuser what ever it's called underneath the live rock, What is the reasoning or thoughts on some people using it and others do not? is it more to protect the glass or does it serve a different purpose? Do you put it only under the live rock or on the floor of the whole tank?
Take it out of the bucket of water and soak it in a bucket of bleach water (put it in the garage or something). Let it sit for a couple days in the bleach water, than rinse it good by letting it soak is RO water for a couple days (change the RO water out completely every 24 hours). The bleach will help to kill/clean the nasty stuff off the rock, and turn it into simple base rock. Let it dry till you get some good LR in, then place the base rock on the bottom of your aquascape and the good LR on top. The good stuff will seed the base rock and in six months to a year, you won't be able to tell the difference.
As for the eggcrate under the rock, it is there to protect the glass. It protects it both from falling rock and also from too much pressure being placed on specific points (which can happen if you build your rock structures on the glass bottom).