Live rock that's dead

candycane

Here's the deal with this rock. I took it out of a 75 gallon and let it sit in the snow about 12 minutes later. It froze completely and has been frozen pretty much since. It did go through a period of die off, but if you stick it in a tank, the rest will die off and kick the cycle back up. It is still covered with LIGHT colored purple coralline alga all over it. Keep in mind that you might want to cure it in some fresh water if you want the rest of the die off to cure. Other then that, it should turn back in to the same stuff it was in before. I am asking 2 dollars a pound and you can PM me if you are interested.

candycane

Colorado Springs, CO 80918. I really gotta update that.
I have a total of 98 pounds of it. Sold some already, hoping to sell the rest.

candycane

No that does not include shipping. I could stick it in a tank for about 2 weeks with nothing but an actinic light and turn it back to "live rock", but that would make it probably 140 pounds instead of 98.

nigerbang

Originally Posted by candycane
http:///forum/post/2518254
No that does not include shipping. I could stick it in a tank for about 2 weeks with nothing but an actinic light and turn it back to "live rock", but that would make it probably 140 pounds instead of 98.
The live in Live rock is talking about all the little critters and life growing on and in the rock..It it was frozen about 99% of that would be dead making it base rock...

candycane

Right, I completely agree with that. I am saying that I can stick it in a tank with "live sand" from my sump or in my sump, and it will be crawling with "little critters" in about 2 weeks. But that will also add a BUNCH of water weight to it.
Thing is, that there is some frozen stuff inside, as you pointed out and as I said right, LOL. If you stick it in an established tank, you are MOST LIKELY going to have bacteria and pods take up housing in the rock to fight for the small amount of organisms that are encapsulated in there. Plus, it has basically freeze dried coralline algae on it. Which means that it will begin to re-grow pretty much the second it hits water again.
This I don't get, LOL "...about 99% of that would be dead making it base rock" what would that 1% make it? 1% live rock?

Just to add, I would think it might be good for a new tank also. With the "frozen" critters in there, it will help to cycle the tank when it thaws, pretty rapidly.

nigerbang

http:///forum/post/2518290
Right, I completely agree with that. I am saying that I can stick it in a tank with "live sand" from my sump or in my sump, and it will be crawling with "little critters" in about 2 weeks. But that will also add a BUNCH of water weight to it.
Thing is, that there is some frozen stuff inside, as you pointed out and as I said right, LOL. If you stick it in an established tank, you are MOST LIKELY going to have bacteria and pods take up housing in the rock to fight for the small amount of organisms that are encapsulated in there. Plus, it has basically freeze dried coralline algae on it. Which means that it will begin to re-grow pretty much the second it hits water again.
This I don't get, LOL "...about 99% of that would be dead making it base rock" what would that 1% make it? 1% live rock?

With 99% of what makes it live..Well not being alive, as in dead, the rock would not be live rock...The bacteria is also more than likely dead as well making what you have base rock...Just because it has a little coralline doesnt make it Live Rock...it makes it base rock with traces of purple that will become live rock again eventually.. Porous rocks from my yard will become lr if I add them to the tank...

candycane

No, I was saying the bacteria will repopulate from the tank and other or......you know what, forget it, LOL.
I should add this is Fiji Rock.

nigerbang

http:///forum/post/2518325
No, I was saying the bacteria will repopulate from the tank and other or......you know what, forget it, LOL.
I should add this is Fiji Rock.
My bad man...Sorry I didnt mean to Hi-Jack your thread...Hopefully "No Harm, No Foul"
Good Luck...Its a good price...

candycane

Bang's been on here awhile, I know he's just messin around. Most of the people that have been on here a long time, are cool to eachother.

candycane

$1.50 a pound. Each box will contain 50 pounds through USPS, and it LOOKS like it may be around $36.00 per box for shipping if anyone buys all 100 pounds (2 boxes, 50 pounds each).

jtfishman

Hello. I am wondering if you could figure out a total price for me if I would take all of the rock you have. My zip code is 58054 for shipping calculations. Please let me know. Thanks!!!

candycane

I am selling it for $1.50 a pound. I have ONE individual that I am waiting to hear back from about the entire amount, just don't know where he/she is. If they haven't purchased it by Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest, I will break it up in to smaller amounts for those wanting it. Is you go to USPS and entire my Zip Code 80918 and your Zip Code, that should give you a price on shipping for 20 pounds.