Live Rock to Base Rock...

touchdown34

Will my live rock spread to my base rock? I will be purchasing about 60lbs of base rock to make a nice foundation for my tank. I was thinking like "play sand", my base rock would be a cost effective way to build my tank if in fact live rock does grow onto base rock.
Thanks for your help!
Tim

oregonbud

Just curious - I thought pretty much anything porus that was in a tank with LR would become "live" - since live rock is called live rock due to the bacteria growth rather then actual visible livestock.
I figured the reason the majority use actual base rock is not because of it's ability to go "live" but rather that base rock is going to be marine compatible and not leach nutrients and other bad things into the tank, like lava rock does.
So with that said - I have 70lbs of LR, and about 15-20lbs of dead coral skeletons, tank has been running for almost a year, wouldn't my coral skeletons be considered "live" at this point, since the bacteria have likely colonized on it and are acting as a biofliter?

touchdown34

Thanks..so where can I get some "reef bones". I take it that it is not the same as base rock. Also, are you saying that reef bones will seed better than base rock? And will base rock ever look like live rock over time?
What I am really hoping for is that the zoos, mushrooms, anenimones and the like will attach to it and over time make it blend with the rest of the live rock.
Thanks,
Tim

touchdown34

Originally posted by SquishyFish
Basically..if you took a piece of LR, scrubbed it clean, and sat it on your portch to dry for a week, you would have reef bones. Its dry reef rock.

lol....if I had the live rock, I would not need to scrub it clean...Thanks so much for the advice. That is good to know if I ever come across that kind of rock.
I just do not want to spend that kind of money on all live rock when the base rock can be used..
Thanks all for the help!!
Talk to ya soon!
Tim

lesleybird

Hi, It will spread to the base rock in time. I like the non-live honeycomb rock with all the large holes in it for base rock. The fish love all the large holes and caves to sleep in. No real need in putting nice live rock on the bottom as the other rocks just sit on top of it and the stuff dies on the covered parts anyway. Lesley