Live Rock Transport???

riccobully

Ok I know this is a sudden question but someone out there can answer this one I hope..I am going tommorrow morning to pick up some live rock 100 lbs from two diferent places 1st stop is only 10 mins. away and other is about 30 mins away..What do I need to do to get this rock home with out damage to it..

reefforbrains

Bring a rubbermaid tub, 5 gallon buckets or similar.
LR is much more durable than folks think. Just try not to let it dry out or overeat during transport and it should be fine.
Some just toss is in a tub without water, or even wrapped in wet newspaper. I would suggest the bucket method as it is easiest.

reefforbrains

LOL Yeah heaven forbid you got ripped off when you paid for the pile of smelly rocks.
Everyone knows that wet they are worth TWICE as much as dry!!.
We are such dorks in this hobby. LOL.... safe trip, and take some pics of the fun for the next cat with the same question. Gets asked here quite a bit.
-RFB

florida joe

Don’t for get to wear your gloves handling rock with out them is just looking to get cut and possible bad infection

lesleybird

If the rock has been at the dealers in a tank for a while, and smells fresh then it may already be cured. If it is cured it is worth keeping it in a little water. What I do is buy the large rubbermaids at Lowes and put a few inches of saltwater in the bottom. Then I lay sheets of paper towels across the rocks that are long enough to reach into the water and they then wick the water up to keep the top of the rocks kind of wet. Like another poster said, keep them from getting hot. Do not roll up the windows in your car or they will bake and the die off won't be good at all. Lesley

ninjamini

Its not cured. you will still need to cure it.
If its at the dealers tank if they have a good business then they do not have rock sitting around for weeks. ITs not econimacal.

riccobully

I didn't buy the rock for a fish store I bought it from a guy that was breaking his tank down...I has been in his tank running for about a year..He just had so much going on he could not take care of the fish the way he wanted..
I have aready put the rock in the tank and every thing looks great another good friend told me that it should not cycle if it would it would be small cycle.
I posted a tread in the new hobbiest about that question...