live Rock turning orange

subvillian

My tank is under a week old and the Live rock is showing some color changes. its started with some Pinks on it and now there are patches of orange poping up all over it. Its doing some serious color changes. the pink spots are still visable. Is this good or bad?? Is Alge starting to form. If this sign is bad what should i do to fix it?? thx

drew2005

Originally Posted by SubVillian
My tank is under a week old and the Live rock is showing some color changes. its started with some Pinks on it and now there are patches of orange poping up all over it. Its doing some serious color changes. the pink spots are still visable. Is this good or bad?? Is Alge starting to form. If this sign is bad what should i do to fix it?? thx
Sounds like coralline to me. Which is good.

mudplayerx

Coraline algae comes in all sorts of colors. Only white is a sign that it is dying. Also, you may have diatome growth over the pink stuff which may cause it to look orange? Have you cycled the tank yet? Are you using tap water for topoffs and changes?

mudplayerx

Cycling the tank is where you allow the beneficial, nitrifying bacteria to grow. It generally takes about 30 days and must be catalyzed by adding live rock into the tank or dumping a dead supermarket shrimp into the water.
During your cycle, your water will become very toxic to fish and critters as the ammonia and nitrite spike. After roughly 30 days, you do a 20% water change and everything should be ready for fish and hardy inverts.