live rock

townsdp

I ordered 40lbs of "fully cured" live rock from ***************.com last monday. They said 2 day air would be fine. It arrived on wednesday and I put into my cured 75 gallon tank. It had alot of growth(sponge?) on it. From that night until this morning my ammonia has been at 1.0 and has not budged. 0 on nitrates and 0 on nitrites. I have a protein skimmer, hang-on filter, and 2 maxi-jet 1200 going. This afternoon I took the rock out, scrubbed it with a brush in clean water, cleaned the sand by running it through a net and did a 25% water change. Tonight ammonia still is at 1.0. Can anyone tell me how long it will last, how to quicken it, etc. (suggest anything)?

stapler

It all depends...might be a day or so...could be over a week. Then you might have a nitrite reading after amonia goes down.
Do you have any livestock in your tank? It might be cured rock, but there might be a little dieoff after the rock has been packaged off and in the dark for a few days. Thats why ammonia rose a bit.
I think you should give it time...and it will go down.

townsdp

thanks for the reply. my main question I should have asked is, will it eventually balance itself out or do I have to do continuous water changes? The tank was cycled and I was going to add my 80lbs of lr to the 40 lbs I ordered and move my fish from my 29g to the 75g but now I have to wait. Just being impatient, and I know that's a good way to lose fish.

lestregus

the numbers will balance if left alone. in my opinion it will actually take longer if you do water changes. after your ammonia and nitrite levels come back to 0 then do a water change. as mentioned it could take a week or more depending on how much die off was on the rock. anywayz, good luck!

obtusewit

Your tank will settle down pretty quickly. This is a common occurance for shipped LR, the ammonia was in/on the rock when it got there. If your system was cycled before the addition, it will work on the ammonia and subsequent nitrite levels in fairly short order. I don't recommend doing water changes either, they will do little to drop the levels. If you change 10% of your water, this will only serve to reduce your ammonia from 1.0 to 0.90. Doing a 10% water change would therefore have a negligible effect.
Someting else to consider. Most hobbyist test kits are not made to be accurate at the 1 mg/l level. That is at the high end of their range. You can dilute the sample by 1/2 or 1/4 and multiply the results by 2 or 4 respectively, which is more in keeping with their range of accuracy, generally 0-0.8 mg/l. Since most test kits use a 2 ml sample which is approx 20 drops per ml a difference of sample size of 2 drops would yield an error rate of approximately 5%. So your 1.0 ml/l measured level could be from 0.95 to 1.05 mg/l.
Personally, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, just 'let it rock' and the bacteria know what to do.

townsdp

thank you for everybody's reponses. This morning, there was a snail on the glass and all the little white critters on the glass so I tested it and the ammonia is at 0.2, nitrate 0, nitrite 20 I think. I'll put the rest of my old live rock in tomorrow. thanks again.