Live Rock $$

yellow ace

I found a lfs that is selling Lr at $4.99 lb. Is this an ok deal? Of course I'm going to look at it and if it's not great, I'll pass on it, but is this relatively cheap, or expensive? What should I expect for this price?
-Ace

nytrillium

Depends if its "base rock" or if its "show rock"... base rock usually doesnt have much corraline on it and doesnt look the prettiest but it does still have the bacteria and such on/in it show rock is usually mostly covered wiht corraline and looks really nice.
for either though, 4.99 a lb isnt bad.
but i know where you can get it cheaper....
email me (my username)@gmail.com

stang5_o

If you lived around here you would think thats a steal! LR at my LFS is 8.99 to 9.99 a lb.
And its not the best looking stuff. :)

fishhunter

hear it is about 20$ an lb Canadian so it is worth it to hop on the ferrie and go to the main land were it is only $8 a lb for the show rock :D
ttyal
fishhunter

taz_12777

I have paid $5.99 a lb to $11.99 a lb for some rock from Austrailia(sp). The $11.99 stuff after being in the tank for only a week has some really nice color to it though and I got some large pieces that were not that heavy.

J

jasondean

I've kinda cheated, I went through and picked some really nice pieces of dead rock for $2 a pound been in my tank for over 2 years seeded it with 3 pieces of live now everything is purple and it looks great

crashedin0

i got some ugly hatian that is just nasty
but around here 6.99 for some fiji
and i only have seen one LFS with tonga and i havene been there in 3 months about an hour away so i dont go to often

oceana

that about normal IMO. we have a new store here in town that has it for 2.99 a pound for really nice looking fiji. they used to be wholesale but recently opened there doors to the public

Y

yeffre kix

The live rock sold on this site is good stuff for the price. It only runs about $4/lb delivered to your front door. It won't be coraline covered, but I've never seen a good selection of mature live rock like that for sale anywhere. I was very pleased with my order.

nytrillium

That works.... I started with only rock i ordered online and after 4 months, it is really starting to fill in and look nice.