Live Rock

double

This site states that the live rock is fully cured, but I've been told that I would still have to cure it before I put it in my tank. Can someone please verify or refute if that I've been told accurate information?
Thanks

celacanthr

Yes, you will have to recure it, and this service of curing the LR definantly adds to the cost of the LR.
The whole reason to cure LR is so that all of the dead/decaying matter, can get cleaned off, or rot away before you put it in your tank, so that your tank will not have an ammonia spike.
As you cure LR some organisms live through the process.
Now if you were to buy the cured LR off this site, then that LR is gonna be without water for about 2-3 days, and in those 2-3 days some of the organisms that survived the initial curing process are going to die, so you will have to re-cure teh rock anyways.
Why pay for a service that you are jsut going to have to do yourself?
Now if this tank hasn't cycled yet, then do not cure it because you want the dead organisms to cause a ammonia spike, there for starting your cycle.
HTH

oxbeard

Originally Posted by CELACANTHr
Now if this tank hasn't cycled yet, then do not cure it because you want the dead organisms to cause a ammonia spike, there for starting your cycle.
HTH

I'm glad to see this info as well. I have at least got that part right.
My wife and I set up our first saltwater tank tonight, 110 gallon tall. Have had many freshwater tanks over the years but finally decided to take the saltwater plunge. We went ahead and got about 30lbs of LR and I figured it would be okay to go ahead and add it to the tank now since it was just beginning to cycle. And yes I know we will need to add more rock, but we're going to have to add in stages.
BTW, just round this site this week and it has been extremely helpful. Thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by oxbeard
I'm glad to see this info as well. I have at least got that part right.
My wife and I set up our first saltwater tank tonight, 110 gallon tall. Have had many freshwater tanks over the years but finally decided to take the saltwater plunge. We went ahead and got about 30lbs of LR and I figured it would be okay to go ahead and add it to the tank now since it was just beginning to cycle. And yes I know we will need to add more rock, but we're going to have to add in stages.
BTW, just round this site this week and it has been extremely helpful. Thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge.
Good Luck with it!!! :happyfish