Live Rock?

sobsts

Im in the process of redoing my tank. If i purchase live rock that is already cured how much could i add at one time without having a problem. Going to add some to main tank but mostly in the 30 gallon fuge im building.
THanks for the help

scsinet

Theoretically speaking, you can add it all at once if it's truly cured.
I tend to always regard "cured" rock as "nowhere near cured" and re-cure it anyway.

teviesfish

i agree with journey man... anytime you take it out of water it looses some of its live and you get die off. You should re cure it for at least a week if not two before adding it to your tank. Then you are safe to add it all at once.

sobsts

i only plan on adding 10 pounds i figured i would try and buy some rubble rock from the LFS just to add to the fuge where the water drains in from the main tank. After that goes over i may try and get some extra from someone here on the classifieds.
Thanks everyone for the input

northreef

Would it still be cured if you pick it up at the lfs and placed in container of saltwater and powerhead plugged into inverter with a drive of twenty minutes? :notsure:

stanlalee

Originally Posted by Northreef
Would it still be cured if you pick it up at the lfs and placed in container of saltwater and powerhead plugged into inverter with a drive of twenty minutes? :notsure:
If the lfs is selling truly cured rock all you need to do is pry off any remaining dead matter with screwdriver/file and spray it off with saltwater/spray bottle. You can put it right in the tank. I usually bring 5lb buckets with saltwater to transport it home but if you are only going 30min or less wrapped in damp plastic will suffice.
If the lfs sells fully cured rock they should have at least two LR tanks/bins. One for curing which isn't for sale and one for cured rock for sale. pick it up and smell it. cured rock doesn't smell bad.