Live Rock ??

robertm5

My rock is cured but it looks dirty. Can I take it out and wash the dirt off in some salt water and put it back inside the tank?
Mason

scsinet

Yes, as long as it's saltwater that's salinity matched.
If you have a janitor crew, hermit crabs, snails, etc they'll clean up the rock for you.

robertm5

Yeah, I think its dirt from when I first bought it that I never washed off. I was told not to wash the rock and some people said to do it but I was scared to.

scsinet

Well I'm not sure I'd take a scrub brush to it, but you can easily lower the rock into a bucket of water and shake it to knock all the debris off.

kailiek

Originally Posted by robertm5
My rock is cured but it looks dirty. Can I take it out and wash the dirt off in some salt water and put it back inside the tank?
Mason
hey if you have the time to read and the money to buy, you could clean rock like scsinet said and then add some GARF grunge( www.garf.org) to the tank and have enough cleaning crew and your rock and bed will look like a million bucks, not only does it add beneficial creatures and coraline to the tank it polishes it and does not hurt fish. check them out they are awsome what they do, they also send free frags with orders
just a thought

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by kailiek
hey if you have the time to read and the money to buy, you could clean rock like scsinet said and then add some GARF grunge( www.garf.org) to the tank and have enough cleaning crew and your rock and bed will look like a million bucks, not only does it add beneficial creatures and coraline to the tank it polishes it and does not hurt fish. check them out they are awsome what they do, they also send free frags with orders
just a thought
Hope you read through saltwaterfish.com's agreement, can't put other sites on here....... :happyfish

kailiek

Originally Posted by Mikeyjer
Hope you read through saltwaterfish.com's agreement, can't put other sites on here....... :happyfish
sorry didnt know that :notsure:

kailiek

Originally Posted by robertm5
i went to garf.org, awsome site thanks for the info.
sssshhhhh, we arent supposed to say the other guys names, but isnt it a great site, very educational as well they should be since they do research and all. always educate yourself, we never know it all, i learn something new everyday and thats part of what makes this hobby so fun.

kailiek

Originally Posted by Mikeyjer
i am assuming this meant toward me and my suggesting that site to you robertm5