live rock

alienup

Ok im going to buy live rock tomorrow for my 30g and I need to know how to add it to my tank. I was told i just cant put live rock in my tank and that I have to add alittle at a time how do I do this? any help would be great thank you very much.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by ROYAL GANG
please add me royalorona@ hotmail . com :help:
?
Why didn't you answer the question? Please remember this is a community forum. Soliciting emails isn't neccessary or beneficial to the community.
Alienup, tell us more about your aquarium. How long has it been set up? Do you have anything alive in it right now? Are you buying cured or uncured rock?
If it is a new tank, using live rock to cycle it is great. All of the rock can be added immediately whether it is cured or uncured.
If you have creatures already in the tank then you have to make sure that there is no die off on the rock before you add it to the tank (fully cured rock direct from the store to your tank. Shipped rock, even cured, must be re-cured)

alienup

in my tank right now i have 4 fish a porcupine puffer a small green spoted puffer a blenni and a baby black fish that im geting better then seting free. The tank has been running for about 3 months now and im just switching from gravle and an undergravel filters to a bio wheel and maybe live sand. I have never used live rock before but i here its the best way to keep a tank clean and has manny benifits. I will say I know very little about live rock and would like to learn all i can.
my main problems is that i here my puffers fishs can eat the rock is this true????
and I dont know how to add it to the tank.
Im going to get atlantic somthing live rock thats cured and is about 3-4$ a lb depending on the week at my saltwater pet store.
for my 30g how much should I add at a time or is it to late to add it to my tank???

renogaw

adding rock to a tank that has fish in it is a little risky. you're much better off being careful and putting it in a tote and seeing if you get any die off. i know my LFS sells it as cured as well, but if it just comes in today, and you buy tomorrow, it really didn't cure very much--and you never know when it comes in.
play it safe, and cure it yourself. if you get no ammonia in the tote then you're good. if you get ammonia in your tank...
your pufffers have teeth that they need to keep sharp and will probably nip at the rock or shells or inverts.

puffer32

If it is truely cured rock you can smell it and if it doesn't have a strong sulfer smell i believe its safe to add it, but i still wouldn't chance it. Put it in a trash can with salt water, power head and heater and let it sit. Then add a piece at a time slowly, keep checking ammonia.

alienup

so what is the diffrence in cured and non cured?????
so how much of the rock should i buy at a time should i get like 10lb now then ad 10lb like every week or every other week?

renogaw

cured rock is rock that already had its "die off". it's rock that is pulled out of the ocean, transported, put in water for a couple weeks, scrubbed of all dead stuff. it can be done in the lfs or in your garage/basement/non stocked tank.
the die off causes ammonia cycle to begin, which is why it's dangerous to trust that the rock is cured if you have fish already. most people will add a little at a time to a stocked tank, or all at once to a tank you are just starting.

stanlalee

go to your pet store and ask if they have a cured rock tank/bin. ask them to see the "curing" tank as well. they should have a tank/bin for curing and one where the rock goes after its cured. worse come to worse smell it and have them run the standard ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test on the cured rock tank water. since they do that for free usually and you are about to buy $5+ per lb rock they should gladly do it. you can put cured rock directly in but its a good idea to spray it off with saltwater in a spray bottle and go over it with a screw driver to remove any loose debri or dead tissue. you should transport it in buckets of saltwater or if you are only travelling locally wrapped in damp plastic will be fine.
If you buy uncured rock simply buy a $10 walmart 10 gallon taml and a cheap powerhead, a small heater and cure the rock (which amounts to testing and water changes until ammonia and nitrite read zero. same as cycling a tank). 40lbs of rock fit in my 10g curing tank pretty easily.