Live Rock

rupertlilly

I'd like to get some Live Rock - I found some live carribbean rock that I live but no very little about it. How do you care for it and maintain it? Do you just place it in your aquarium and that's that? Or do you take it out when you do your water changes and give it a cleaning?

florida joe

Please don’t take this the wrong way but I think a good place for you to start would we with a good book on salt water aquarium husbandry

Are you adding this to an already established aquarium? If so it needs to be cured before you add it to make sure it doesnt cycle your tank. You dont have to clean the rock when you do water changes.

rupertlilly

Yes I have an established tank - 75 gals. If you buy the live rock and it states it's already cured do you still need to cure it?

most will tell you to still qt the rock to make sure you dont unleash any unwanted critters to your dt. If its already cured (from your lfs) to your tank then as long as your not adding alot at once you will be okay.

rupertlilly

Thanks. I took this tank over from my parents - they did have live rock in it about 1.5 yrs ago and it did "unleash" some nasty stuff into the tank. So I took it all out. But now after all my reading on the benefits of it I'd like to get some more.

do you have any fish or anything in there? if so you dont want to add a lot of cured rock at once do it slowly. If theres nothing living in the tank then you can buy a lot and let it stablize before adding any living things in there.

rupertlilly

I have fish - and they are all very established - at least 2 years old if not older. I do not want to disturb them. I was thinking of adding like 25 lb of smaller 3-5 in pieces?

florida joe

Originally Posted by rupertlilly
Thanks - I could of answered that myself. Thought that was what this forum was for - asking questions.
Sorry if I sounded abrupt but your question was do you take the live rock out of your tank when you do a water change and clean it are you taking about curing your live rock or doing periodic water changes in your DT

I would say at least a few days but not exactly sure. Hopefully someone else will chime in here and give better info on that one for sure. Welcome im always learning myself so if i can help another out thats what were all here for. Good luck on the LR and the tank. Post some pics when you get time everyone enjoys pics.