Live Rock

yank30265

I used to have live rock in a tank over 10 yrs ago. It grew a bunch of feather dusters on it and some thing i wasnt sure what it was. Now i have a 125 in a new state with a new attitude. Im getting ready for my live rock(tank is empty) I thought lR grew things on it. i guess im wrong. Is lR only for bacteria to grow on? Whats it's purpose? Do i need it? What type of rock do most people have? is there anywhere I can go go to find out about LR?

namas05

Things grow out of LR. LR does not grow things.
Many types of LR but all do basically the same thing. It is mostly a personal preferance on what type to buy and what your budget will allow for.
Probably figi and tonga is the most readily available now, but have heard they are shuting down the exoprt of all figi LR.
Not sure what info. you are looking to get about LR not much to it. It's rock.

stdreb27

The thing with lr is that it is very pourus and that allows more surface area for nitrifying bacteria to grow.

yank30265

Should I purchase lR from a LFS (he said hed sell it by the box) Or is there a better place . i found some on an

[hr]
site but S&H might kill me. How much rock should i put in a 125l.? I dont want too much(money matters too) Id like to have some space for the fish to swim. i heard a snowflake morray will do fine if well fed. id like a lion but Id read they eat the reef. How much is true? I like those little mandarins, believe it or not i worked in a Pet store up north for 5 years, but things seem to be more complex now than what I read in those old books. i was always told uG filters and cannisters w/ a protein skimmer. I wonder how many peoples tanks I killed telling them that(but I read it so I thought it was right) Now i here from the forums No UGF, NO cannister. Only protein skimmer. A sump? Never even thought of one till I started reading the forums. I thought they were only for big systems. Well whatever. thanks for the info. any other thoughts would be great. Maybe even a book title. i need salt and a test kit, then the rock and fish

mr_x

a pound per gallon or so is a good amount of live rock.
i would stay away from predatory fish if you are considering a reef setup.
yeah..undergravel filters aren't used anymore.
you don't need a cannister filter either. live rock and a good protein skimmer are all the filtration you need.
yes, a sump with a refugium would be an excellent choice for a 125 gallon reef.
read the threads marked "sticky" at the top. they have alot of useful info.