Live Rock

autumnpine

I've recently set up my SW tank (1 month). I have cc subtrate, no kind of live rock. My question is: Do I need LR? What are the benefits of having LR? I have a 29 gal. with an Emperor 280 and a Visi-Jet Protein Skimmer. I don't have a power head because my lfs told me that if I'm doing a FO tank that an airstone would be sufficient. They told me that powerheads are used more for tanks that have inverts or live coral. I have chosen to go with synthetic coral for my first SW tank for a few reasons. 1) I want to learn more about the hobby before taking that extra step and 2) I didn't want to use coral that was taken from the ocean and killed just so my tank could look pretty.Thanks for any info you can give.

striker

lr and ls provide you with the biological filtration neccesary to keep a healthy sw fish tank regardless of coral or fish only. Lr and ls will help keep down nitrates, help with the control of unwanted nuisance algae breakout and provide hiding places for fish and inverts in order to reduce stress. These are only a few of the benifits. Powerheads are extremely important in my opinion because they provide water circulation to keep the surface water clean, keep fish healthy and also helps with the reduction of unwanted algaes. IMO I would change over the cc(if kept it must be regularly cleaned and vaccumed), buy 30-60lbs of lr, and add a couple of small powerheads. Don't listen to what lfs employee's tell you. They are'nt known for giving out good advice. Good luck.

fshhub

well said, adn to add not only is an airstone NOT good enough, but also highly frowned upon in this hobby by most hobbyists
and no lr is not needed, but it does offer the benefits described plus:
aesthetics, food for fish and a place to build a reef, bc if you are looking at fake coral, you will more than likely eventually go with live corals, and it is very easy to get propigated corals in this hobby(since you seem to be eco frindly, whcih most of us like)
and now is a good time to change from cc, and i would, if i knew abotu dsb's when i started, i would never have haed cc the first time
and last, the advice about lfs's is generally true, most do NOT give good advice,a dn one thing to remmember, they are a business, here we are all experienced and inexperienced friends only tryin to help each other and offering our trials and failures as wella s successes