Live Rock

flyingzach

Ive got a new 75gal aqaurium thats been setup for about 4 weeks now.
Currently I have 2 damsels and and wandering about live rock? My questions!
Where is the best place to buy liverock? From what Ive seen and heard Tampa
Bay would be it.
How much LR should I get? Ive got a 75gal, Id like to add fish too so not
all rock!
When should I add the rock and how? Would it be best to do now before I add
fish?
Is it going to screw up my tank at first?
What critters do I not want?
Thanks,
Zach

new

ok welcome to the boards:) LR i buy locally so can not say about online. general rule is #1-#1.5 per gallon, i also have a 75 and i want to end up with about 110-120# because i want to have a mandarin. i only add cured rock, going to do some uncured rubble to increase pods soon, and this has not effected my parameters from week to week, i am sure that ammonia goes up some if for no other reason than the stirring of the tank but have had no adverse effects yet. you definately dont want a mantis shrimp but other than that it depends on what you to do with the tank.

kpogue

I bought 60 lbs from TB and the rock was beautiful. They send it overnight and totally submerged. Only caution is to get as many of the red crabs out of it that you can now or you'll be sorry down the road.

crablegs

Just my opinion...but the Florida rock I got was not very porous and I personally don't like it. I'd much perfer Figi, the more porous the less you need to buy.

fshhub

try here, saltwaterfish.com, good rock and good prices
at least check it out. And I too, like fiji. But think that I would really like a good mix of those 2 plus marshall and tonga as well. DIVERSITY is not a bad thing in this case.

jennlegend

Only caution is to get as many of the red crabs out of it that you can now or you'll be sorry down the road.
WHY!?!?!?

fshhub

some crabs not only may not be beneficial but also may be detrimental to what we or you want to keep

kpogue

Their is a type of red crab that has red bands and a lot of hair on them. They will kill anything in their reach!

jennlegend

UH-OH!! I saw the crab that came in my LR the other morning...I have only seen it twice, but I know it definately has a lot of hair!!! I should get rid of it!?!?!?