live rock

preston

I purchased 200lbs lr from an online distributor and when I received it, it was still moist and there was hair, "gunk" all over it. I did not clean at all, just put in tank. That was about 1 1/2 months ago. I have a problem with cyanobacteria and was wondering if this could be the cause? I have good circulation and don't feed that often.

preston

Nitrate is basically 0, phosphate is about .3-.4, i have a couple of sponges as well as poly filters and it dosen't seem to be going down. I have power compacts that are 10k. Lights are on about 10 hrs / day.

surfnturf

wow, that pretty much shoots down anything I can suggest. How old are your bulbs? The only other suggestion I can give is to add powerheads and direct them where the algae is growing. Sorry I can't help more, maybe a shark will chime in.

finland

The cyano is probably caused from high organics in the water, from the die off with the curing live rock. I Would recommend water changes. Is the lr done curing. What are ammo and trites. New tanks commonly get cyano and with water changes, good current to affected areas, and maybe a phosphate sponge, the problem should get better. Just takes awhile. You cantry chemicals like " red slime remover", but with your tank being so new, I would try other methods first. A good skimmer can help with the organics in the water also.

shoer

Gotta agree with you finland,
anytime that i have had alge problems even if my tests show everything is normal..... i water change like crazy and it gets it under control in no time at all.......

wamp

I'm also with finland on this one.. A good protein skimer functioning properly will alos help with the organics.