live rock

majakarot

anyone who's bought swf live rock, is this pre-cured, and if so does it still need to be cured for a while from the ship and if so how long, also, what size pieces to they ship... i would ask if anyone recommends their rock, but so far everyone says swf is great... i want to get the 20-25lb lr package and an invert package, should i wait until all the rock is in before i get the inverts, i'd hate to bury the little guys with the new rocks (already have 30lbs live rock and 20lbs base rock) and i'm also open to suggestions on cleaner packages
you guys on this site are awesome... thnx for all the help

gregzbobo

I would think that since this rock has to be shipped to you, that it will likely undergo some die-off of any macro-organisms in/on the rock. This means that you will likely have to cure it again, whether it was cured at the swf facility or not. Personally I would hope that its uncured so as to get a larger bio-diversity, but thats only my personal opinion. Others may disagree. I intend to buy one of the smaller boxes of the rock on this site when my funds allow to help in my tank. And I will buy the rest of my rock from an lfs that has some of the best looking rock I have ever seen. Crystal Clear in Norman Oklahoma. (yes, I'm giving them a plug) :) Any OKC area folk that are looking for some NICE rock, should check this place out. And I would say yes, wait a while before you add an invert package, since the rock will probably need curing and may cycle your tank again.

ekclark

I ordered $400 worth and I have been satisfied. It came covered in coralline and macro algae. I now have sponges taking form, a million little fan worms, pods, and even tunicates (which are a sign the rock has been kept in good shape). Go for it.
I have also order some invert packs and in the last one 2/5 peppermint came DOA. They guarantee them, but I did not keep their little bodies because I did not know if was going to order any other live things...I don't know if this is common, maybe shrimp are too delicate to survive the stress of shipping. After everything, I will keep doing buisness here and the rock is good stuff.

ekclark

Oh, I think you need to cure the lr for two weeks...I used it to cycle so I did not pay attention, but that is what comes to mind.