live Rock

blueeyes68

Hi,
I will be setting up a 90 gallon reef ready tank. I'm just researching all I can before setting my tank up. Been reading books and learning alot on this forum. I just had a ? that I would like to ask you all. How do U set up your LR. Do you use those PVC frames that I have read about or do you just put them ontop of the LS? I've read in the Conscientious Marine aquarist that he prefers the PVC frame to put the lr on and to leave some room between the rock and the sand so that the clean up crew can get under and do there thing and to also allow current to flow through. Thanks for your advice in advance.
Donna

T

thomas712

I used the pvc eggcrate on the bottom of the tank and placed the sand in then the rock in a shallow sand bed. Working fine
Thomas

klbjr

you can also use 2" pvc pipe and cut about 2 or 3 inchs long and stand on end, on the bottom of tank then fill full of sand and place the rock were the pipe is that will keep the rock from sinking to far in your dsb, thats what i did is working great!!

E

elan

i dont know about using pvc as KLBJR mentiod. Once you start stacking weight on the rocks (by other rocks on top) you are diplacing the weight over a small surface area (the pvc pipe)
if you just lay it on the sand like CheerFlip (and myself), the sand will help distribute the weight over more surface area of the bottom of your tank. using the egg crate like thomas would probably not have any effect if there is some sand below the eggcrate.
your tank will probably withold the pressure concentrated on a pvc pip, but i didnt want to take any chances with mine.