Live Rock

enomadra

I have just setup a new 55gallon tank which can be seen on my web site
http://home.comcast.net/~enomadra/index.htm
I just wanted to know if there is anything I can do to help speed up the process of things growing on my live rock?
The tank has been up for 1 week today and I used stress enzyme in it to promote bacteria growth.
Thanks,
Mike

cb

What kind of stuff? Coralline algae takes time and other stuff like corals and plants you have to buy and then add to your tank. But if your tank has only been up one week then you have not cycled yet and can not put any thing in there right now. Also if you want corals then you will need certain lighting. By the way Welcome to the Board............................. :)

enomadra

Thanks for the welcome and the information. I am new at salt and know only what I have read so far.
So I am running two 36" Coralife lights. One is a 10,000K 30watt, the other is a 100% Actinic 03 Blue 30watt, says it peaks at 420 nanometers. Will this work when I start adding coals and plants to the tank?

cb

I am not very familar with what lighting goes with which corals all I have are a few yellow button polyps. But I do know from reading this board that alot of the corals require strong light maybe someone else can answer that question for you.

sandman12

that will not be enough lighting for coral but its good for lr. First off,if u want coral ur going to be spending some good money on lighting. U want a light the full length of ur tank. I just ordered a 36" 2x96 watt pc(power compact) thats just for a 30L.For ur 55 u r going to need many more watts. alot of people use metal halides but when i got my light i wasnt familier with them so i just go a pc. I spent $190 so iam guessing u will spend aroung $250 ,mabe more or less,not very sure. Iam new too but i might be able to answer some more of ur ?s so u can e-mail me milkmanf12@aol.com

jarvis

sounds like NO lights to me. Your best options is to buy a 2x250watt metal halides. However heat might be an issue over a 55gal tank. With these lights you pretty much can keep just about everything. The other suggestion for lights is to go with an Ice cap 660 and get 440 watts of VHO or 4X96watts PCs this setup will work for most LPS and soft corals.