Live Rock??

lenvadal

Another question my 55 gal tank is a marine tank with just fake coral and crushed coral on the bottom, can I add a large peice of Live rock to this? Just to have the benefit of live rock any suggestions?

leopard_babe

Live rock is a good way to filter your tank. It also looks very cool in the tank, with all of the colors that it adds. The little critters in the rock are also really good. They eat all kinds of things in your tank. Live rock can provide a good source of food to different kinds of fish. Also, many fish love to swim in and out and around the rock. That's my 2 cents.

dacia

Many fish NEED lots of live rock to thrive. It provides shelter, territories, and oftentimes food. Also, if you plan to have a reef rather than a fish only tank, you should put at least 1 pound of rock per gallon of water. Many types of corals need to be anchored to live rock.
One word of advice...never smell live rock that has been shipped to your house. Your nose will try to kick you. :D

rgaquarist

Adding a piece of live rock will have very minimal effect as a filtration boost. You really do need the 1 to 1 1/2 Lbs of live rock per gallon to really get the benefit if biological filtration and denitrification. If you buy one small piece of live rock, dpdending on the quality of it, you will likely be adding Amphipods, Copepods, assorted marine worms, snails, coraline algae (encrusting algae that is pink, purple or other colors) and other possible surprises that could be great or not so good.
I'm putting a link here that doesn't sell anything, so I think it's not in violation of these message boards. If it's a problem, I apologize in advance and please edit it out.
This website page #1 links to page #2 and page#2 links to #3, all of which are very detailed in describing some of the most common, various good or bad creatures that could be on your Live rock. http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/pages/mai.../faq_rock1.htm
Do some research on cured live rock. You can buy fully cured live rock which will have minimal life on it and you can buy specific pods and other creatures you may want. It's a detailed topic. I will never have a saltwater tank without live rock.