live rock

stonedpimp

Im about to buy live rock. I was wondering what people thought was the best looking live rock. Is it worth buying the uncured for a new tank? or will it smell to bad? any help would be appreaciated.

1journeyman

Hello,
I think that the general agreement on this board is that any live rock that you have shipped to you is going to be "un-cured" due to die off. Are you planning on buying online or from your LFS?
As far as looks go, I'm sure you will get many different views... Be aware that rock density is also a consideration. Ex. rock from Florida is more dense, but may also be more covered with livestock...
Good luck!
John

stonedpimp

journeyman. i was thinking about ordering it, i like the tonga. Im not so sure if my wife is going to like the house smelling so I was thinking of curing it in the shed or paying the extra from the LFS.

karajay

Can you run some carbon filtration? Should keep the smell down. I'm not too sure about curing it outdoors in Michigan. It should be kept heated. That might be difficult if it gets cold out.

stonedpimp

you have a point there. maybe i will put it in my half bath nobody uses it any way. that way i can keep the exaust fan on. i have a emperor 400 can i run carbon in there. i dont know much about carbon.