Live Rock

polka

Hello, I have a 38 gal. f/o tank. It has an u/g filter with protien skimmer, skilter filter, two powerheads. My friends are down to 1 clown and 1 hawkfish. All water levels were fine then all of the sudden my nitrates went up to .40 and my yellow tang died. I was wondering if the two were related and how do I get my nitrate back down. I have done two water changes and it's still at .40. Would live rock help? How do I put it in the tank? How much should I get? Do I do anything with it at the next water change? I really miss my yellow tang
?Would love to get a new one, but not until I get this under control. Thank you so much!

clownfish

I think you should remove the UGF because not only is your other filtration good enough, but UGFs cause major problems by sucking all that crap down into the substrate where it can't be removed. After you take out the UGF, add some live sand, maybe 20 pounds (not much, really) and some good live rocks with good coralline algae. The live rocks and live sand will remove nitrates from the system.

polka

How do I do that? Wouldn't I have to start all over again? If I don't have the u/g filter, then what do I do with the power heads? I really don't understand. I am very new to this my tank has been up and running since Jan. I guess I need major help. I was told that the u/g filter would be ok. Should I get a different filter system if I take the u/g out? Any and all help is greatly appreaciated!!

clownfish

When you remove the UGF, leave the powerheads in the tank for circulation but submerge them. You will have to put your fish in a container of saltwater to remove the UGF. Siphon out all the crap when you do this. You could leave the substrate in there but I would just replace it with 20 pounds of live sand. Then put some cured live rocks in there. Smell them and don't get rocks that smell bad. They should have a good covering of coralline algae. You should get a powerglo tube to support the live rock. If you get 1 powerglo and one actinic, and when the nitrates drop below 10 ppm, you could get some mushroom corals.

jimm

Even though I think a filter system with a sump works better, I have had great luck with a UGF for my 30 gallon QT, even when it was a fully stocked show tank.
I must admit that I don't know what a skillet filter is, but UGFs work great on a basic tank.
The problem with UGFs is that all the decaying food, crap, algae sits and decays in the gravel, causing higher nitrate levels.
I got past this by doing water changes and gravel-vacing the grave every 2 weeks. One was a 25% water change and the other was a 10% water change just to clean the gravel.
I do agree that adding LR will help with bio-filtration, including helping to reduce the nitrates. The gravel in your tank is already filled with bacteria and is therefore "live" so I would not waste $ buying any live sand from the LFS.
[This message has been edited by Jimm (edited 07-12-2000).]

mr . salty

I agree,loose the ug filter. The skilter will be plenty. Thats what I have in my 40gal and works fine. Live rock will help alot also. STEVE

polka

Thank you all for you wisdom!!! I will be taking your advice. Steve, you had mentioned that you have a skilter in your tank. What size is it (the filter) I am only using the filter part as my protien skimmer part was malfunctioning. That is why I have a Seaclone skimmer as well. My skilter is a 250. Is that going to be sufficient? Also, it was mentioned to submerse my power heads. At this point they are approx. 3" under the surface of the tank, how low should they be? Thank You!!!

mr . salty

I also have the 250.The only way I have found to make the skimmer work is to totally remove the air adjusting valve,then attach a long section of air hose to quiet it down. Then raise the water level in the filter, I put rocks in it. Then it works great. My powerheads are at different levels. The one opposate the filter is set low,to push fish poop and other stuff off the bottom,towards the filter.The other one is set high,to push filtered water from the filter to the other side of the tank. This setup gives the tank a good turnover.Hope this helps. STEVE

polka

Thanks so much Steve and others I will try this and get back to you guys next week. Any suggestions as to what kind of friends I can add. I have had an awful time with Triggers (All died) and went through two yellow tangs. The only ones left are the beginning fish: Clown and hawkfish. Thanx again!!

jtoliver

I'm with the other guys, dump the ugf and the substrate. add the live sand and live rock. (you can take all this with a grain of salt because I am a reef junkie) The fish you have will make a great start to a semi-reef or a reef tank. I highly recomend getting a alge blenny and a golden headed sleeper goby. the goby is quite interesting in the fact that it actually scoops up mouthfulls of sand and filters it out of its gills. I will warn you that once you start on a reef you will be hooked.