Live Sand Activator Kit

cogreywolf

I am looking for a Live Sand Activator Kit to increase the amount of life in my sand. I believe it is called GARF. Are there any places in the Southern California area that sell something like this. I don't think Saltwaterfish.com sells this item. Please help. Thanks

ocellaris_keeper

garf.org will tell you - BTW you don't need any help with seeding a Live Sand bed - just buy 45 lbs of the SWF.com Florida Sand and your good to go :)

cogreywolf

I currently have a 4-5 inch DSB. However, I would like to add more diversity to it. I used oolytic sand for the base and live sand on top of it. So far all of the pods/worms are not going into the bottom layer of sand. If you look at the DSB, you can totally see a distinct boundary between the two layers of sand. Anyway, I was hoping that by adding a supplemental activator kit, like the one from Indio-Pacific Sea Farms, it would help with my DSB.

dinhouse

If you want diversity just get a cup or two of live sand from other reef tanks. Most if not all of the stuff they are trying to sell you in that kit you will get if you added some good live rock when you started your tank!

nm reef

Over the past two years I have looked at the two primary sources for "activator kits" and personally I believe the same stuff can be added much cheaper...maybe not as quickly...but definitely cheaper.
The use of quality LR will add diversity to a developing DSB's micro fauna...if possible get a cup or 2 of active LS from a fellow reefer(or LFS)...check into the possibility of getting a few lbs of crud/rubble from tanks used to cure large amounts of LR...these sources combined with a stable/mature system and patience will encourage the growth of all sorts of benefical micro fauna.:cool: