Live Sand and fine crushed coral

enomadra

I have heard that live sand is beneficial for BIO filter, and I have heard that it can cause you to add a PH buffer (well in my area with the water we have here anyway). So my question is how about a mixture of Live Sand and the crushed coral (the crushed coral I am talking about is the stuff that is as fine as sand)?
Would I get the best of both worlds?
Meaning I would not have to keep adding a PH buffer every week like other I know in my area that are using Live Sand, and also get the BIO filtration benefits by mixing them together?
God I love this stuff!:D
Thanks

bang guy

From my perspective it doesn't matter which you use, you're still going to have to add Calcium and Carbonate (Buffer) if you're going to keep coral or clams.
IMO crushed coral is too rough for the critter population to easily crawl through and this will severly limit your sand bed diversity.

N

nick17

enomadra,
I wouldn't mix the two.. BUT if you insist.. i'd put the CC on the bottom of the LS..
Just a suggestion...
HTH
-Nick

beaslbob

I see no reason you con't combine the two. I currently have 4" playsand with 1" Cc on top then some white rocks and shells on top of that. Seems to work fine but then no corals yet.
As I understand it, argonite sand is supposed to buffer things anyway.
I also do not understand why your well water would require any additional buffering. Anything in your water should be easily filtered out through algae, macro algae, or marine plant action. I think youwill find your water will work just fine without any additional additives over tap water.

bang guy

Originally posted by Bang Guy
IMO crushed coral is too rough for the critter population to easily crawl through and this will severly limit your sand bed diversity.

This means that I don't believe it's a good thing for your tank. CC will eventually make it's way to the top where it will interfere with sand bed function and it will trap detritus.
Don't think lightly about the importance of diversity in your sand bed. IMO this is the difference between a healthy sand bed and a nutrient sink.

nm reef

I just want to point something out in regard to the quote below...
I also do not understand why your well water would require any additional buffering. Anything in your water should be easily filtered out through algae, macro algae, or marine plant action. I think youwill find your water will work just fine without any additional additives over tap water.

Recently I have seen several comments along these same lines from beaslbob and I want to make a few comments in regard to his opinion.
First it seems beaslbob is a relatively new hobbist with a limited level of knowledge/experience in marine systems so for that reason alone his advice needs to be considered with a grain of salt.I myself am relatively new to this hobby but I have never seen support for any of his recent claims and opinions.
Second...its been my experience that there a numerous methods and systems available to us all ... each has its advantages and dis-advantages...I would urge each hobbist to research as many sources for information as possible. Compare opinions and experiences carefully and apply the methods that you feel comfortable with. I do want to point out that the opinion/position of beaslbob is unique and does not have the support of the vast majority of experienced reefkeepers.I know of no other marine hobbist that makes the claims that the quote above makes! Not one...and I do review the opinions/experiences of numerous "experienced" hobbists.
Last I will respectfully dis-agree with any claim that common tap water needs no additives for marine use. Any type of RO and/or RO/DI filtration will definitely remove items that the vast majority of hobbists prefer not to have in their systems.I can state with no reservations that if polled the huge majority of experienced marine hobbists will state that they use either RO and/or RO/DI filtered water as the ONLY source of water for their systems. I am confident that such a poll would put beaslbobs position in the very small minority!Many sources of tap water can have minerals/metals that over time can accumulate to toxic levels in our systems. I urge all who read this post to extensively researce the internet on this topic and I will bet that the opinion of beaslbob will not have much support from those with experience in this hobby. I can personally state that in my 30+ months keeping a reef system he is the one and only individual that adamantly supports this position. In addition any...ANY...source of water used to establish/maintain a reef system will require additives to establish levels of calcium/alkalinity. I know of individuals that use "ocean water" and they suppliment for calcium/alkalinity. There is absolutely no way that I would dream of using "tap water" and not suppliment for calcium/alkalinity.
I urge each member that reads this post to research the information provided by beaslbob and attempt to find any support to his opinions and theories. IF...IF you find support for his positions I for one would be very interested is seeing it!:cool:

nm reef

I sincerely apologise for hi-jacking this thread. But due to recent complaints and questions in regard to some of the opinions expressed I felt it was important to challenge the position of beaslbob without starting a flame fest...or argumentative post. For that reason I make the statement above...and I will now close this thread. Again I urge each member to solicite the opinion and experience of others and compare the information you find to the position of beaslbob...I am confident that you will find his opinions are in the small minority!:cool: