Live Sand Calculation

I was wondering what was the formula to calculate how much live sand do I need for my tank which is 72 in. x 24in. x 24 in. and want a 4 in. DSB. What kind of live sand do I need? Can I use the ones that are just in a bag, or do I need to buy live sand from the LFS.

slothy

na pistol shrimp paired with a goby, can build a 7 bedroom house under sand in no time.. :D

entice59

im currently in a project with my dad, (basically me working and him paying), on his 55 gallon tank... so far i bought 100lbs of sand and 40lbs of live sand; for regular sand, i have 50 lbs of really fine sand, finer then salt/sugar grains and i have this larger sand(pic below)... i have 40 lbs of live rock
i was thinking about getting a pair like sloothy said with the pistol and the goby, is it any a certain type of goby? i cant find the spotted one like the one my book says... the book also states that i could use a pvc pip that is diagonal
dragon wrasses, dont they move rocks too?i wanted one.. but didnt know that about the sandbeds too

so how about my lawn mower? is he gonna have to go too? my tank already has some yellow polyps and mushrooms and others and it seems like they are all doing fine iwht just 300 watts. im going to get my 1030 watt MH soon and see what i can do. I am thinking about taking out all my live rock, corals, inverts, and fish, and replaceing my C/C with a DSB. So where should i put the LR, fish, inverts and all the others. The LFS says to take out 60 gallons, take out all the inverts, fish, and lr, and just scupe out all of the C/C and then im going to buy 400 pounds of LS from him. Do u thikn that will work out fine? because i want to have all my fish in the tank at the end of the day after we are done replacing with live sand. Do you think this will work..? My yellow tang and my purple tang have ich right now.... man.. this is the 3rd time.

nm reef

To figure approximate amount of sand needed use this formula:(all measurements are in inches)
length x width x desired depth of DSB x .0579 = lbs of sand needed
I prefer a mixture of sand types...I use Caribsea products for the non-active sands( seaflor grade & oolitic)...about 20% of the total is Natures Ocean LS. I've never had access to southdown but if I could get it I'd use it instead of the Caribsea sands.:cool:

entice59

lol me too, not to make fun of you... maybe you drank too much
im 18 and really got wasted twice, i can see how drinking can be additicing, i actually feel better then i do now, the urge and the craving haunts me where i know if i drank, i would be a more friendly and talkative rather then the loner and selfbrooding person i am now... im staying off the hooch until i can control the cravings but those were two of the most unforgetable and best nights ive had in awhile, bacardi 151 was my good buddie.. but now i turn down nights of fun so i wont be an alcholic
off topic but basically stay off the alcohol kids! no good can come of it! drink when your older, might be cool to be with your friend and try out some forbidden things but its not and when your parents know your having a hangover from last night = no good at all

entice59

wow when i typed that up you guys posted so quickly, after reading alot of your posts viet, seems like you/or your dad is willing to go out on the reef tank, so was my dad, i wanted to save him some money so he can actually pay for my college classes and get me a car... doest seem like the car is goign to come soon... looks like i'll be needing a new job

im all covered in college and im gettin my aunts porsche when i get old enuff to drive. She said she would be willin to teach me stick. Heh dont worri, i wont be drinking for a long time! LOL na im jjuss plain