Live sand depth

cielo

I'm sorry to ask this question. I tried a search but didnt get the answer I needed for my type of tank. I have an AGA 20 G long (30L x 12W x 12H) that I am setting up for a nano reef. Last night I added 40 lbs of live sand. The sand bed is now 2 to 3 inches thick (more at theback , less at the front) It looks like an aweful lot of sand (on a tank only 12 inches high). I know this is such a newbie question but I do want to get things right from the start:p Do you think my sand bed is going to be too deep?
Thank in advance for any expert patient enough to help sich a newbie hehehehehehe:D :rolleyes: :p :confused:

nm reef

A common formula used to figure sand needed for a specific depth sand bed is...
length x width x desired depth of sand bed x .0579=lbs of sand
using this formula you'd need about 20.8 lbs of sand for a 3" deep sand bed.
Most reef keepers seem to prefer a DSB of 4"- 6" in depth. Hope this helps you decide how much "you" decide to use.In your display a 6" DSB will take up a lot of space.....but that would be a decision you'll have to make...DSB's can be effective at depths of 3" though so maybe thats a good depth for yours.:cool:

cielo

Thank you. Okay this is a REALLY newbie question but what are the benefits of having a deeper sand bed vs. a shallower one? :confused: I know it has to be more than just "looks".
(it's so frustrating being new to all of this..thank you for your help)

salty rick

Originally posted by NM reef
Most reef keepers seem to prefer a DSB of 4"- 6" in depth.

In your opinon is that realistic for 29 gallon and smaller?

T

thomas712

Really with a 20 gallon tank, I would go with a shallow sandbed, and water changes. 2 inch sandbed with very fine ootlic type sand will still give you some benifits of a DSB. JMO
Thomas

wrassecal

Here is a good article on deep sand bed and what they do. dsb Your right though if you go 4 - 6 inches you might feel like you are looking at a tank half full of sand. One thing some people do it have it sloping or a more natural reef looke where it is deeper in some areas than others. In my 55 mine is 4 - 6 inches. HTH