Live sand for substraight?

aries7

Am thinking of replacing my substraight, which is what my lfs called puka shell, with live sand! Seems as though from all my reading and listening that live sand is what I should have used in the first place! I would like some input from some of the pro's on here as to using all live sand, would it be worth the trouble and expense?

mr . salty

First off,depending on the size of your tank,live sand could cost you a fortune. I woul use regular sand,then after it's all settled in add a few lbs of live.Your rock and this small ammount of live sand will "seed" the rest of the sand and spread. Soon it will all be LIVE.STEVE

mr . salty

I've read about that idea elswhere.I think that would be very cool,but shudder at the thought of how long it would take to cover the whole bottom.[STEVE

I am sorry for my ignorance here guys, but what are star polps? Would you use them like you would substrate, even under LR, or would you use them just around the LR?
~~Megan

mr . salty

Purplepuffer,Star polyps are a soft coral that look likr a blanket of small star shaped flowers.They are red.green, and yellow.If you look at the DRY GOODS COMING SOON banner they are what those yellow flowers are on either side.STEVE

jimi

Many marine aquarist dont use any substrate because of the nitrates it produces. My lfs has a 750 with only a dusting of sand in the front, the rest of the bottom is covered with all kinds of life.

That is sounding like a great idea, and that is an awesome pic, the one at the bottom of the screen. And now I feel really bad because I have some of those, just a few, that I bought that are green, but I had forgotten what they were called. How would you fill the whole bottom with those and make them look as filled in as in the picture?
~~Megan