Live Sand in a bag?

jrx7

I was at my LFS today and saw what was called live sand in a prepackaged 20lb bag. I thought LS needed to be transported in water in order to keep it "alive". It was priced lower than what I've seen so I'm wondering if this is a scam. Anyone know?

jrx7

No I didn't pick it up, and yes I think it was Natures Ocean. I'm getting ready to setup my new 55g tank and wanted to use LS and LR in it, but the price (here in NY at least) for this stuff is ridiculous. I was pointed to some good online sites by another member that had some great prices so I might get it that way, but was hoping to get it locally so I could at least see it first. Just to give you an idea the prices here for LS is about $6/lb and LR $8/lb. That whole 20lb bag of Natures Ocean was only $30, compare that to $120 for the same weight of normal LS.
That leads me to another question, how much will I need of each (LS/LR)? Can this Natures Ocean be used for the bulk of it and then just sprinkle a little good LS on top to "seed" it as someone mentioned? What about LR? How much is recommended for a 55g tank?
Sorry for all the questions. I'm new, this will be my first SW tank. Thanks.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You can use the Nature's Ocean, it is LIVE SAND. Use it to seed your tank, placing dry sand in it as well. The live sand will seed the dry and, of course, the LR will also.
If you are aiming to have a DSB setup, then you will need to provide the "creatures" for that.
There are bargins for everything online, the problem is, with these heavy products, the shipping cost will frequently cost more than the product itself! In NY, you should be able to shop around for a good price on LS.

harris

JRX7- Not sure where you are in NY but if you are downtown or in the 5 boroughs, there is a great place in NJ that is an easy drive from Manhatten. Travel over into NJ, either bridge will do, when you get to Newark, find your way onto RT 22 south. On this road there are 3 saltwater shops. I have had a throrough expierence with a place called Ocean Gallery, I bought all of my live rock there for 5$ the first time, then when I came back I got hooked up at $3 a LB. You get to pick your own pieces, so wear something with short sleeves and be prepared to get wet. Alson't be afraid to bargain there. The other 2 shops are ok, But the Shark Aquarium place seems a little shady.
Here is the info:
908 US Highway 22
North Plainfield, NJ 07060
(908) 226-1100
Good luck

jrx7

Thanks Harris, I live on Long Island, but I work in Manhattan. I'll have to check that out after work one of these days.