live sand in freshwater

guineawhop

i was tossing around the idea of turning my 55 gallon tank into a freshwater tank, but i don't want to buy substrate. would it matter if i used the live sand in the freshwater system.

zoocrazy

tagging along, i have sand from a tank i jst torn down 2 weeks ago and was gonna set up a fresh water angel tank, try to breed them and what not!!!

knots

I think everybody is stunned that you would go from salt to fresh. I always thought everybody did the opposite.:yes:

molamola

It really depends on what type of fish you plan on getting. The live sand will knock the PH up so high that most Amazonian fish (tetras, rainbows and the like) will not be able to survive. If you want African Cichlids, or Mollies, or Killifish or something, you would be okay. Still, it would be more natural looking to get some sort of sandblast or laterite...especially if you intend to keep live plants. So, in answer to your question, it depends.

guineawhop

well the reason i want to change it is i still got my big tanks and i don't need this one. i'm gonna be moving soon and the less trouble the better, ya know what i mean.