Live Sand / Playground Sand?

zaxs

while talking to one of the reaf heads at my LFS we were discusing Live sand and he said to use Playground sand from Wallmart that is Bleached and steralized. and then get 1 20lb bag of Live sand and mix them together. since the playground sand is only $2:50 for 50lbs this sounded like a good way to get a nice depth of sand in a tank for not a lot of money. anyone else have any experence with using playground sand?

b_ball12_99

On this BB we have had the discussion of useing playsand. The tropical play sand made by Southdown that is sold at home depots on the east coast is the only ones that we have concluded to be safe for a tank. What your looking might also work though.

zaxs

should any preperation be done to the sand before adding it to my tank? IE washing the sand with fresh water?

@knight

iv'e actually researched this quite a bit, if you do a search for "southdown tropical play sand" you will see my posts.
I WOULD NOT USE WAL-MART SAND!!!!
If you do, you are asking for diatom blooms well into the future.
You have been warned :)

zaxs

Thanks for the info. Although through the threads about Southdown tropical play sand Sometimes called HD sand HD= Home Depot I have found that the school is out on washing the sand. Most of the people recommend that it not be washed so as not to loose the fine particles. They have however recommended that the sand be aged for about a week in a bucket or trashcan with water that has been taken from the tank and that the sand be stirred daily and any thing that floats up be screened off. I.E. sunflower seeds. After a week there should be a sufficient bacterial layer on the sand to keep down the sediment. But still they say the tank will stay cloudy for about a day.

rlv695

Zaxs...you are correct inn the washing of the sand... as long as its not live sand... dont wash it at all...now,the HD sand.. also called tropical play sand is from the crib. sea so its safe yo use in a tank.. other play sands however are not...
also..zaxs.. i see your in norfolk.. im in hampton,...email me as to where you shop for your fish..please
rlv695@home.com

healerhand

I have used Home Base Playsand. Trust me...... wash, wash, wash, wash, wash and wash it very very very vary well. Its very dusty.......... wash it very well first...........
david

zaxs

did you have any problems with silicates in your water after using that? any red algae?

gymieg

There are several sources that suggest the use of sand from Home Depot. In certain parts of the states this has been found to be actual Fiji sand. However, in our area it is not. Shucks! Make sure you know what your getting or you will regret it later.