Live sand question

fla boy

What is an ideal depth for live sand? I was guessing about 3 inches? If I have my live sand before my tank is quite ready, will it be okay in a plastic tub with a power head moving the water for a few days? I am getting ready to set up a second reef tank (a 180).

T

thomas712

Depends on how deep you want to make it. Its up to you.
I have a 2 inch sandbed in my 90 gallon, but a 4-5 inch DSB in my 55 gallon fuge.
If you want the denitrating power of a DSB then yes 3 inches to start and you can go up from there.
Thomas

fla boy

Thanks. My 90 has been set up about 10 years and has an older syle 2" bed that is established. I wanted to start out my new tank with a DSB. Will live sand "store" okay for a several days in a plastic tub or cooler with seawater and pump?

T

thomas712

Yes...think about it... They sell live sand in bags that stay on the shelf for weeks on end at the store. However "live" here only means the bacteria, it doesn't necessarily mean that it is live with pods, worms, and other micro organisums.
Are you thinking of puchasing live sand?
Using the old sandbed from the 90?
Using dry sand to start?
What?

fla boy

Actually I am going to the Keys for a week and am considering bringing back live sand from Florida Bay or the Atlantic. I will be diving and snorkeling for a week for lobsters. Since I have my own boat and free labor with me, I thought I'd make the most of the trip. We go a few times a year and I usually bring back shrimp, banded coral shrimp, etc.