Live Sand Question

locoyo386

Hi there,
If I leave live sand in a container without heater or water movement and hardly any water. How long will it take for it to die completely?

spanko

Sand you have taken out of a running tank? My guess would be when it starts to smell bad, decaying. I would think the water would start to stagnate quickly. Only guessing here though.

loopy101

if you read the bag of live sand its says it has a pretty long shelf life. how? that i do not know or understand. i think a person is better off buying dead sand and just getting a cup or two of sand from a established tank and seeding the sand.

locoyo386

Hi there,
Well here is the deal. I do not know how long the live sand stays live when in the shelf of stores. I went to MLF and I saw two bags and the sand looks like a green color. I am thinking that the sand is no longer live sand, thus I wanted to point this out to them and ask If I could buy as base sand (around4-5 dollars per bag. My point of argument would be that it's green and that I would know how long live sand can be on the shelfs.

spanko

Originally Posted by locoyo386
Hi there Henry,
I was thinking more on what is the shelf life of bagged live sand.
Hello sir, on that note there is an exp. date on Caribsea live sand. I would bet that Nature's Ocean live sand does too. So if I were the LFS I would not sell anything that still had a valid date at a discount.
All that said IMO live bagged sand is over-rated. I think from my experience that it contains more dead material than live and will kick start a cycle that way.

reice05

i cant find dead sand anywhere :(
Originally Posted by loopy101
http:///forum/post/3066623
if you read the bag of live sand its says it has a pretty long shelf life. how? that i do not know or understand. i think a person is better off buying dead sand and just getting a cup or two of sand from a established tank and seeding the sand