Live Sand

kelly4687

Okay...so I bought live sand for my 29bio cube....apparently I bought a ton of it. I added what I needed to my 29gal and tied the bag tightly shut.
It has been about a month- just got a 12gallon. I would like to put the live sand in there from the bag. Is this still okay. I mean, is it still alive? Or will it cause the cycle to last long?

ibanez

I doubt it is "alive", I would probably put it in a bucket with saltwater and stir it around pretty good then empty the water. Adding sand can cause problems by covering over beneficial bacteria and organizms. I would add it slowly, like a cup a week just in one area.

jubbin2001

How much is "a ton" of it? I highly doubt you got 2000lbs of sand for a 29g tank
. LS is recommended at least 1lb per gallon of water to achieve a 1" sand bed. So in this case a 30lb bag would not be "a ton". Now there are many many of posts out there on the benefits of a deep sand bed, which on average starts off at 4". This would constitute 116lbs of sand or 4 30lbs bags. Again, this doesn't necessarily mean you had too much, it is all about what you want to achieve with your tank.
Now, as far as the sand still being "alive". Given that there is still some liquid left in the bag, and that it wasn't put anywhere extremely hot or cold, chances are the bacterias are still present. Anywhere the sand has become dry though, I am sorry to say, probably means you just have dead sand. I still would take a small cup full from your 29g and use it to seed the new aquarium, just in case.
I am not a biology expert, and I don't know the preservation methods used in packaging live sand, so I can't say for sure that all of the bacteria are alive and well, but I would think that for the most part if the sand is moist, you should be just fine.

ibanez

I missed the part about adding it to a new aquarium, I thought you were adding more to the 29 gallon. You can add the sand but you will still experience a cycle.

kelly4687

haha well I def don't have mountains of sand in my house. But I only ordered 10lbs and ended up with 30lbs. I only needed some to add to my 29 gallon, that is why I only ordered 10, and now my 29gal is nice and filled with sand.
I haven't had a chance to open the bag of sand yet...but I am guessing I will tonight or tomorrow. I figured it would def give me a cycle in my new tank, I will also ass some from the 29gal to seed it. Thanks!!