Live Sand

jjboods

Has anyone used the bagged, "packaged" live sand that is sold by some LFS's and websites...including this one I think? How is it? Is there die off from it? Will it cause a major spike? One online store told me that as long as the sand stays "moist" that there won't be die off? That doesn't sound exactly true to me. Can anyone comment on their knowledge of or experience with such a product?

jjboods

I figured that there would be no amphipods or copepods. I am doing a CC to LS changeover. I have bought 100lbs of Southdown and will keep my CC in bags in the tank. I am looking at about 40lbs of LS to seed with. I have a credit at an online store that has this bagged sand for about $28 for 20lbs including shipping. That is why I am considering it. Rather than paying $3 per pound at my LFS.

foulbrew

I experienced no noticeable spike from the sand when I first setup my tank or later when I added the sand. In addition, though I couldn't see any critters at purchase, a few weeks later my sand was crawling with then. This was before I added live rock.

ryanbooton

I am in the middle of converting my 55g FW tank to SW. I already have a 125g SW.....So, are u guys saying that critters don't come with LS, i.e starfish, hermits, or anything? I just got a bag of LS from my lfs and was going to use that and the damsels I have left from my 125 to cycle. Does anyone have any suggestions? I kinda want another community tank with LR, anemone, and possibly coral?, but my bf wants an aggressive underwater world.

tjkohler

You don't want 'live sand', you want 'LIVE SAND'. The stuff in the bags is really only sand that is ladden with bacteria. What you want is all the fauna that comes in it. Here is an article telling you why you want LIVE SAND and what it really is:
http://www.rshimek.com/reef/sediment.htm
Read that and you'll be enlightened.