live send or nls in a cycled tank with LR

joel911

hi i am new here, i have a couple of question.
i have a 75 gal tank FOWLR bought it used with cc with fluval 404 canister
my cycle have finished after 1 week i have now couple of blue damsel's
and 35p of LR
now after reading all this negativity's on CC i thing I'm better of swapping it now to sand before i add more stuff when it will be more complicated
is this sand actually alive?
it will be very costly to to buy 500lb of LS
is there none living sand that i can buy and it will become live due my LR?
and because my tank has already cycled do i wash the sand or not?
thanks for reading

xcali1985

It will become live over time. However, since you already have fish I wouldn't suggest a complete removal of the CC. unless you set up a fuge and use it in there. You will be removing a lot of filtration media. It will take some time for the sand to become live. I started with 1/2 live and 1/2 dead.

xcali1985

I have an 80 and I used 100lbs to get a 2 inch bed. I will not have sand dwellers or shifters so don't like or need a DSB. So go from from there. Type of Sand Bed depends on what you want to keep. If you are going to have sand shifters etc. I would go with 4inchs. 200lbs of live sand will probable run you about 160$.

joel911

Originally Posted by Xcali1985
http:///forum/post/3160931
I have an 80 and I used 100lbs to get a 2 inch bed. I will not have sand dwellers or shifters so don't like or need a DSB. So go from from there. Type of Sand Bed depends on what you want to keep. If you are going to have sand shifters etc. I would go with 4inchs. 200lbs of live sand will probable run you about 160$.
whats that?