Live stock

I have no idea what to do with live stock...
I have:
1 clown
1 scarlet skunk cleaner
1 peppermint shrimp
That's all I have
I'm thinking off putting some snails in, about 4, what fish should I get? I'm thinking of neon blue goby pair or one dwarf angel(I don't know what kind would be good for 20 gal)

Last edited:

lmforbis

Your tank is too small for a dwarf angle. Fire fish would be a good option as well as a shrimp goby or a royal gramma. 20 gallons is pretty small so you will max out at around 3 small fish. Snails are a good idea I'd get a couple different types. Maybe two that eat algae and two that will clean up left over food.

Your tank is too small for a dwarf angle. Fire fish would be a good option as well as a shrimp goby or a royal gramma. 20 gallons is pretty small so you will max out at around 3 small fish. Snails are a good idea I'd get a couple different types. Maybe two that eat algae and two that will clean up left over food.
What kind of snails? And the fish option you gave me, do I pick 2 of them?

lmforbis

I'd say you could pick 2 but one at a time. Research the choice and add the least aggressive first then a couple months later the more aggressive. There may be other fish options as well. Live aquaria has pretty realistic minimum tank size recommendations so I'd check that out.

As for snails in not real knowledgeable so l'll defer to others who know more. I have a large tank so I just bought an assortment.

I'd say you could pick 2 but one at a time. Research the choice and add the least aggressive first then a couple months later the more aggressive. There may be other fish options as well. Live aquaria has pretty realistic minimum tank size recommendations so I'd check that out.

As for snails in not real knowledgeable so l'll defer to others who know more. I have a large tank so I just bought an assortment.
Hi, so I'm planning on getting a royal gramma and a yellow goby, I'm just worried if the clown fish will show aggression since it killed my other clown( atleast I think) I do 1 in 2 week water changes, but if I go 3 fish can I still do normal water change? Or more frequent ones

lmforbis

As long as you don't over feed and stick to the gramma and goby you shouldn't need to increase water changes. The bacteria will catch up. You will need to quarantine these fish too. One at a time. The aggression tends to be more toward fish that look the same. A royal gramma looks very different from a clown and it lives in the rocks more than the clown. The issue is similar with the goby. I'd do the goby first.
You seem to be doing a very good job for someone your age. Especially being patient and quarantining your fish. Many adults can't seem to master that.

As long as you don't over feed and stick to the gramma and goby you shouldn't need to increase water changes. The bacteria will catch up. You will need to quarantine these fish too. One at a time. The aggression tends to be more toward fish that look the same. A royal gramma looks very different from a clown and it lives in the rocks more than the clown. The issue is similar with the goby. I'd do the goby first.
You seem to be doing a very good job for someone your age. Especially being patient and quarantining your fish. Many adults can't seem to master that.
Thx for helping me, might get another qt tank lol, i might be more patient cause I live in the very north with no saltwater supplies or live stock, can't rush or anything...it's a good thing and a bad thing, I'll keep you updated.
Just making sure
I put the goby in first then gramma?

That is the way I'd do it.
Hi, I was doing a lot of research on royal grammas, and everyone says it needs 30 gallon tank. So I changed my mind and getting something else, like a fire fish. What do I do now? Firefish first or yellow goby? Or they gonna fight?

florida joe

My .02 Remember this comes from someone who came close to single handedly whipped out the entire RG population. As far as tank size. It is predicated on the fish size as an adult. But these figures are taken from fish caught in the wild. It is my experience that juveniles kept in the home aquarium never reach their full size. They also are not prolific swimmers and if you have suitable rockwork they will find a home to their liking and pretty much stay in that area.

florida joe

I cant tell you what fish you should get. i personally love the RG but was never able to keep one. That being said I would not let your tank size stop me. fish very rarely die in the bag. its after the hobbyist gets them that problems arise

2quills

I cant tell you what fish you should get. i personally love the RG but was never able to keep one. That being said I would not let your tank size stop me. fish very rarely die in the bag. its after the hobbyist gets them that problems arise
What do you think was the greatest challenge in keeping them?

I've never tried them but I've often considered getting one.

florida joe

I actually don’t know. I actually started a tread on this site where I chronicled every step of the way from bringing the fish home to quarantine to introduction into my tank and I still lost him. Yet people keep them all the time.
I believe its karma I am tempted to get one but that IMO would be selfish on my part

I actually don’t know. I actually started a tread on this site where I chronicled every step of the way from bringing the fish home to quarantine to introduction into my tank and I still lost him. Yet people keep them all the time.
I believe its karma I am tempted to get one but that IMO would be selfish on my part
So....should I get royal gramma?

2quills

Nah it isn't karma. Unless you were a devil to your gramma when you were young lol.

If they always came from the same source maybe try a different source. Otherwise I suspect something in your tank doesn't like them.