Liverock Piece ID

mohawkninja

I have had a piece of live rock in my tank for about 2 weeks, and I went down to my tank today to see a white ball on the rock. Assuming it was a hermit crab shell, I moved on. I came home today to see this ball still there. Upon inspection it is a round white ball about 1/2 cm wide, anchored to the rock, and it is soft when poked with a turkey baster. I don't want to burst it, but I don't know what it is. Should I be alarmed?

mohawkninja

I will try to post one later today but I dont think is a pineapple sponge because it is smooth.Sorry for the typos, I'm ona tablet ATM

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkninja http:///t/395691/liverock-piece-id#post_3523472
I will try to post one later today but I dont think is a pineapple sponge because it is smooth.Sorry for the typos, I'm ona tablet ATM
I hated my tablet...so I gave it away, give me a laptop any day, I have a docking station so it becomes a desktop when I want it to. LOL I'm just an old fogie I guess.
It might be a isopod...they just attach to the rock through the day, unmoving... and all cuddled into a niche of the rock it's on, and will crawl around at night. I agree, pictures would help...

S

saxman

It looks like a sponge.
BTW, that's a piece of lava rock...it's not as porous as aragonite/limestone, so it's not a super great piece to be "live", since the bacteria colonize the pores of the rock.

mohawkninja

Quote:Originally Posted by saxman http:///t/395691/liverock-piece-id#post_3524197
It looks like a sponge.
BTW, that's a piece of lava rock...it's not as porous as aragonite/limestone, so it's not a super great piece to be "live", since the bacteria colonize the pores of the rock.

It was sold to me as lace rock, but the rest of the rock in my tank is pretty porous. I am going to grab some more live rock in a little bit. Only reason I buy my LR from that store is because it is a kilometer from my house so there is pretty much no die off. 10 minutes from their tank to mine. So sponges are just harmless filter feeders right? No need to worry?

tthemadd1

Sponges are fine. Live rock can travel ten minutes or an hour or two wrapped in newspaper to keep it damp will be fine.