lizard hunting

ric maniac

So, we see lizards all the time around here. And I want to try "hunting" them. I'll let them go, but I'll take pics and count how many I catch. The only problem is that I have no idea how to catch them. Any suggestions? I'll post pics if I catch any.

S

scorpiojkd

my kids just grab them by the tail. they don't have to look to far though. As soon as you walk out of my house they are everywhere.

ric maniac

Yes, but how do you set up like some sortof trap? I see them every once in a while, but I can't/ don't want to chase them around. I tried it once, and when I focus on something like that I don't focus on the rocks in front of me
lol.

coral keeper

Originally Posted by ric maniac
http:///forum/post/2595573
Yes, but how do you set up like some sortof trap? I see them every once in a while, but I can't/ don't want to chase them around. I tried it once, and when I focus on something like that I don't focus on the rocks in front of me
lol.
LOL

ric maniac

lol another reason not to. I need traps people! It might be fun to have a lizard catching contest...... hmmmm.

S

scorpiojkd

ya got me there. I never thought about trapping them. I can usually look out the window and see a dozen or so at any given time.

reefforbrains

Around Nevada horny toads sit like little dogs watching you.
No healthy fear, you can just walk up and pick them up. Used to always find them sitting outside the car as if they were expecting me when I got home.
Cool little dudes.

reefraff

We used to just grab them. Certain lizards can release their tails as a way to escape so it's best to grab them by the body. Does look kinda cool when they shed their tail though, they sit and wag for a bit.

nuro

just use the old bug on a stick proping up the mini box routine. i used to do this all the time as a kid. just find small bettles or pill bugs(rollie pollies) , use doublesided tape to stickthem to a toothpic propping up a box, most of the time the lizard will kick loose the toothpick trapping him in the box.

scopus tang

How about a simple box trap (i.e box supported on one end with a stick)? bait is placed inside the box or the lizard enters it for shade and you pull the string attached to the stick and voila, the box drops on top of the lizard. Slide a piece of paper under the box, turn box upside down ~ lizard in the box. Course finding out what type of bait to use could be an issue; you might try fresh fruit.
Dang, nuro beat me to it <ROFL>!
Originally Posted by GrouperGenius
http:///forum/post/2596496
What kind of lizards live in Wyoming? 'Cept the Lounge variety?
Actually, we don't have many of the Lounge variety; too much to do. We have short-horned lizards (aka. the Horned Toad), sagebrush lizards, eastern fence lizard, tree lizard, side-blotched lizard (probably not is his area), six-lined racerunner (maybe in his area, but probably not), and the many-lined skink (again, probably not in his area), maybe others as well. And yes, I did indeed have to pull out my handy-dandy Audubon Field Guide to answer that question.

groupergenius

Originally Posted by Scopus Tang
http:///forum/post/2596515
Actually, we don't have many of the Lounge variety; too much to do. We have short-horned lizards (aka. the Horned Toad), sagebrush lizards, eastern fence lizard, tree lizard, side-blotched lizard (probably not is his area), six-lined racerunner (maybe in his area, but probably not), and the many-lined skink (again, probably not in his area), maybe others as well. And yes, I did indeed have to pull out my handy-dandy Audubon Field Guide to answer that question.
Sweet. I guess being from a warm climate, and seeing so many snowbirds freakout about lizards here, I didn't think there were any that could live in such a cold-winter area.

scopus tang

Originally Posted by GrouperGenius
http:///forum/post/2596530
Sweet. I guess being from a warm climate, and seeing so many snowbirds freakout about lizards here, I didn't think there were any that could live in such a cold-winter area.
Two factors; one, you actually have to get outside and generally outside the city limits to see them and two ours aren't nearly as big as those from other parts of the U.S. ~ say about thumb size with a tail maybe twice that (some a little bigger, especially the horned toad). I know when we went to Mexico, seeing the large iguanas just sitting around was pretty cool, and Alligators and Crocs we ain't got (except in fossil form).

pontius

you talking about the little gecko lizards? funny story, when I was in college I had a friend who had just moved down from Connecticut. so the first time he ever went to my house (which was in the boonies), he goes to open the door and sees this gecko on the porch rail near the door and starts freaking out. he is shrieking this high pitched sound and screaming, "what the *bleep* is that thing? what the *bleep* is that thing?". I was like, "what, you're telling me there aren't lizards in Connecticutt?". he said no, there aren't. it took a while to convince him that they aren't dangerous or poisonous. he said, "that's unbelievable, it's like a living freaking dinosaur". to which I replied, "um, is that more amazing than something that IS large, dangerous, and like a real dinosaur like an aligator or komodo dragon?". it's pretty funny to think back about him screaming like a little girl at a tiny little lizard.
as for catching them, don't know. they occasionally get in the house during the summer and you just chase them until you get them in a corner. they can't climb walls, so if you get them cornered it's pretty easy to catch them in your hands.

keri

I still go lizard hunting and I'm 27, it's hillarious, they're so quick. Around here we only have Northern Alligator Lizards, fast and hard to spot. We have garter and water snakes too, and they're interesting to catch if you can wash up somewhere nearby because they Stink on you when scared. I dunno about a lizard trap but you can "sneak" up on them in plain sight if you move VERY slowly, try not to look like you're looking at them, and strike quickly. Don't grab by the tail, with a lot of lizards that's all you'll end up with! Try for right behind the head, or around the "hips". Don't drop it when it bites you!!
Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
http:///forum/post/2595614
Around Nevada horny toads sit like little dogs watching you.
No healthy fear, you can just walk up and pick them up. Used to always find them sitting outside the car as if they were expecting me when I got home.
Cool little dudes.
Really?? Awesome! I love those little guys buut I've only seen ONE in a pet store and it was like $300 or something. Will ya ship to canada? ;)

nuro

a feind of mine had soem guys she knew from canada down, we were hanging out on the back porch and this one dude jumped up and yelled "omg your lizard is loose". I just kinda looked at her while this guy is going ape@#^$ trying to catcha random lizard. Apparently up in canuckland these FL lizards go for like 10 bucks in the pet stores.. he had though it ws her pet and gotten loose. Had he looked around he would have seen the 8194 other lizards runnign about.