Lobsters Reef Safe?

ak_reefer

As I sit here in my tower waiting for my last aircraft to arrive. I think about this beautiful bright red lobster I saw. I have read they are reef safe and I have also read not to keep them in a reef tank. I was wondering if anyone has had one before and if so was he in a reef enviroment or a FOWLR. Either way I just would like to know of any expierences good and bad.

mlm

I don't have one but I was looking at getting one. They will not eat your corals but they will knock everything over.

underthesea

I also heard that they might make a meal out of a few of your fish. The aquarium store I go to had one returned after the lobster got bigger it was about a year later because it started feeding on its fish every now and then.

nm reef

May not help much but I've always heard 2 things in regard to red lobsters in a reef.
1-they tend to not be seen often.
2-they can tend to "knock" things around a bit.
I've considered adding one several times.Personally I plan to wait until I have a much larger system. I think that given plenty of room they would be kewl...but in a smaller system like my 55 they may be a bit much.
<a href="http://members.3lefties.com/bdjr/index.html" target="_blank">NM REEF</a>

nyy fan

I am actually picking up a small blue lobster today, so I will keep you all informed on its behavior. Supposedly, as long as you keep them fed, they are pretty well behaved. :cool: