Local Fish Store in IL

aquaman

Hello,
I recently moved to a suburb of Freepost IL, near Rockford and am looking for a LFS. If you have one you love let me know, if it is a great one I may be willing to drive a bit to get to it.
Bob
Aquaman

dalerich

All I know is stuff in the rockford area.
Petsmart has no saltwater fish located at 6320 East State Street
But they will sell you salt and test kits.
***** has some saltwater fish but not a great selction and NO live rocks or corals. located 6305 East State Street.
Petland has an okay selection of fish and the live rock looks not to good but always has extras like little feather dusters and things. Located 7358 n cherryvale mall drive.
The hole in the wall fish store that I think your looking for is not listed in the phone book as a fish store. This store has the best selection of salt water fish in the area and the live rocks are great he has alot of interesting stuff and can order what ever you may fancy. The prices are slightly higher than the chain stores on dry goods but to me it's worth it. The name is Wayne's Feed Store located 3435 Auburn street. I think it's bret that knows the most about saltwater and always gives truthful answers and doesn't just try to sell you things that a simple water change can fix. The Question was how to lower PH.
Hope this information helps you out. If you find a better one post it so I can take the drive also.

aquaman

Do you know the # to Wayne's Feed Store. This would help greatly.
Tghanks for the info too,
Bob
Aquaman

poesraven

I've also been looking for a better LFS in the Rockford area. I had no idea Wayne's Feed Store had saltwater, I'll be checking them out.
One more place that is in the area is Pet Center/Teri's Aqualand. It is located in Loves Park and has a small selection of saltwater. I have never purchased fish from there.
Petland will special order for you and they don't put your special order in their tanks, they just have you come pick it up. I've paid some high prices there though.

aquaman

Found a small place in freeport, it does not have much because it is in a small town, and caters mostly to fresh, but it will do in a pinch.

aquaman

fishinmi
Thanks for the offer but when I buy inline I buy from Saltwaterfish.com because I want to support the message board. What I am looking for is a lfs. Thanks anyway.

michelle l

Originally posted by cresh1966
know of any good ones in central IL area?

Hi Cresh1966
Where in Central Illinois are you? There is a great one in Champaign, called Sailfin, but they are pricey. They usually have a fantastic selection of SW fish, and the owner, John, really knows his stuff.
There is one in Bloomington called Premium Pet Supplies that has pretty good prices on tanks. I just bought a 125 gal. with the regular flourescent hood and wood stand for $499.00. They also have some SW fish, although it's not a huge selection.
In Springfield, there is a place called The Fishman. They usually have a pretty good selection of corals and fish.
I'd also like to hear about any other SW fish stores in Illinois. If they are good enough, I'll drive a long distance to visit them!

robchuck

If you don't mind driving a bit, there are some great LFS's in McHenry County and Western Lake County, and there is a really nice reef shop in DeKalb called Rod's Reef. Rod doesn't have a whole lot of dry goods, but his livestock is amazing, and most of his displays are fed by surge devices.

robchuck

Here is a short list of a few must see LFSes in and around Chicago:
Old Town Aquarium is almost right downtown Chicago. It's nice but very expensive.
Reef Dwellers is a small shop on the north side, but has very nice SPS and cheap yet quality Fiji live rock.
Living Sea Aquarium in Park Ridge; near O'Hare. Lots of interesting fish and a large shark tank.
And there are several others in the western and northwestern suburbs that are also great (Advanced Aquatics - Schaumburg; Deep Reef - Downers Grove; Reefs Plus - North Aurora; Sea Schor - Buffalo Grove)

cresh1966

Hi Michelle L
thanks for the input, I live in Jacksonville. I've been to "The Fishman" several times, they're not bad, in Springfield ther is also "Aqua Unlimited" they sometimes have good buys.

aquaman

Originally posted by dalerich
The hole in the wall fish store that I think your looking for is not listed in the phone book as a fish store. This store has the best selection of salt water fish in the area and the live rocks are great he has alot of interesting stuff and can order what ever you may fancy. The prices are slightly higher than the chain stores on dry goods but to me it's worth it. The name is Wayne's Feed Store located 3435 Auburn street. I think it's bret that knows the most about saltwater and always gives truthful answers and doesn't just try to sell you things that a simple water change can fix. The Question was how to lower PH.

Okay, I went here on Saturday, and will not be going back here, too expensive and the place is real dirty, and I am not just talking the tanks, though they are in real need of some cleaning. If they just took out the 50 or so dead fish I saw it would have helped. The guy there didn't seam concerned about the conditions of the tanks, or the fact he was selling a sick fish to a newbie, but I put a stop to that, and was promptly asked to leave and not come back. Not a problem by me. Anyway I guess I will keep looking for something local.

dalerich

sorry you did not like it. I agree it's not a the cleanest place in the world but I have not had any problems with sick fish. I guess I have not found any better around the area. I have been to worst places and more $$ places. Please let me know if you find a better place around. The chains stores are just not to good for me. again sorry.

poesraven

I also went there. I have no idea if the place was dirty or clean because I only had expectations of walking into a feed store with a fish room & that's exactly what it was. When I go to an aquacenter I guess I expect more "atmosphere", if that makes sense. So, I walked in the door and straight to the fish.
The tanks did have some algae blowing around but as for the fish...I did not see one dead saltwater fish. The only fish that looked sick were some clowns with ich. They had some really great looking fish.
Maybe it's because our local area has such slim pickings and more than a 20 min drive is out of the question for me (have a 1 yr old that hates being in the car & screams) but I will go back there. And I would buy a fish from there. And thanks dalerich for suggesting it.
Just out of curiosity, what kind of fish was it that was sick & what was wrong with it?

aquaman

First, I may have over reacted a bit, but I did think it was unnecessarily dirty. Second the guy was trying to sell a grouper (panther I think, not too familiar with them) and it was struggling breathing and lying on its side, also it had some kind of open sore on one side. The guy was saying that was normal for groupers. Again not too familiar with this fish, but I do think the person buying it need bigger than a 29 gal.
I am glad to hear you have has success going there. Maybe after awhile, so they have time to clean the place, and I have had time to cool down from the experience, I may go back, but no time soon.

altus

if you are looking for a really good saltwater store
look to your south.
sterling,il.
the store is called sharks cove large selection of fish,coral,inverts,dry goods if he is out he can order.
phone#815-625-9353

aquaman

Originally posted by altus
if you are looking for a really good saltwater store
look to your south.
sterling,il.
the store is called sharks cove large selection of fish,coral,inverts,dry goods if he is out he can order.
phone#815-625-9353

Cool, I am even going to Sterling on Friday.