Local Reef Clubs

btldreef

I do.
Almost every LFS in the area discounts 10-20% if you're a member.
Equipment can be found for cheap.
Frags can be found for cheap.
My husband and I are so well respected with one reef club that people just give us stuff for free when they're breaking down their tanks
I haven't actually paid for a tank in quite a while.

nigerbang

Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/post/3241915
I do.
Almost every LFS in the area discounts 10-20% if you're a member.
Equipment can be found for cheap.
Frags can be found for cheap.
My husband and I are so well respected with one reef club that people just give us stuff for free when they're breaking down their tanks
I haven't actually paid for a tank in quite a while.
Awesome..
It boils down to this..
Im president of our Local club (decent sized LOL) and Im trying to get ideas for membership perks for members. We already offer 10-30% off at our sponser stores (27 sponsers) among other things.. Im digging for ideas to sweeten the deal even more.

btldreef

Originally Posted by NigerBang
http:///forum/post/3241924
Awesome..
It boils down to this..
Im president of our Local club (decent sized LOL) and Im trying to get ideas for membership perks for members. We already offer 10-30% off at our sponser stores (27 sponsers) among other things.. Im digging for ideas to sweeten the deal even more.
One that I belong to has frag swaps every 4 months or so. That seemed to get a lot more people interested and involved. The first 2-3 weren't that great, but once word got out, it exploded into a huge event.
I guess it depends on the area. On Long Island, it's odd to find someone in this hobby that doesn't belong to one.

nigerbang

We hold a frag meeting every Feb. where we bring in someone well known and then we do a demo for the club and hand out free frags.. Last month I think we ended up with about 1000 frags we handed out so several people got a few extra than normal..

stdreb27

wow, that sounds like a plan, as long as they weren't all kenya trees.
I was a member in houston, but I moved, and tore down b/c I'd only have a tank setup for abouta year before I'm gonna move again. I'm kind of tossed up on the value of the club, I could go to meetings without joining. I didn't feel that the meeting were all that great. Other than to look at the tanks where the meetings were held. They were really pretty. None of the LFS's close to me offered discounts for membership. Although if you were a member you got to sign up for a raffle for free, which was worth it.
I purchased most of my stuff from local reefers, who did give a little discount for being a member. But the ones I delt with regularly took care of me anyway. The problem was most of the members who actively sold on their forum, were a little too concerned about turning a buck and not to much propagating the hobby.
That being said, I met some wonderful people through the club, and don't regret joining. I just don't know if I'll do it when I get back. And a handful of those people helped me out more than I could have ever imagined. One housed my tank during Ike. Another thing that was lots of fun was going shrimping.

J

jstdv8

We have a card that the president makes for us, gives us 10-20% at some LFS, we get together once a month at a different members house or LFS. We trade frags, some of the LFS give out freebies. we sit and chat and eat. Sometimes we do fragging demos, or sometimes a member will bring in a DIY project and we get to see how to build it.
Fun for all.

nigerbang

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/3241945
wow, that sounds like a plan, as long as they weren't all kenya trees.
Nah, We gave out Acro,Chalice,Acans,Zoas,Milli,Pavona,Green Toadstools,Montipora.. Things like that..
Originally Posted by Jstdv8

http:///forum/post/3241953
We have a card that the president makes for us, gives us 10-20% at some LFS, we get together once a month at a different members house or LFS. We trade frags, some of the LFS give out freebies. we sit and chat and eat. Sometimes we do fragging demos, or sometimes a member will bring in a DIY project and we get to see how to build it.
Fun for all.
We have our cards made by some company.. Not sure who, they are the same as credit cards, but dont have the magnetic strip on them.. I'll snap a picture of mine.. They are the hard plastic cards.

aquaknight

I'll name drop
. I would to have like to joined ORCA (Orlando Reefers), but the club cabinet members, for whatever reasons I didn't along with, a couple arguments online. They basically pushed to go off that really big fish board that has a ton of clubs in it, onto their own board, which I thought was dumb. Their drive seem to be mostly about making the club bigger, instead on improving on what they had.
Additionally, my favorite LFS in the area, was not part of the club and the club office members despise. This was the only LFS in Orlando that rounitely got in cool fish. ORCA seems more coral focused then fish focused, which is probably true about the hobby in general.
I knew most of the cool people, bought stuff from them, they've been to my place to buy stuff. That was good enough for me. The 15% off for the few times I bought coral wasn't enough.

nigerbang

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3242147
I'll name drop
. I would to have like to joined ORCA (Orlando Reefers), but the club cabinet members, for whatever reasons I didn't along with, a couple arguments online. They basically pushed to go off that really big fish board that has a ton of clubs in it, onto their own board, which I thought was dumb. Their drive seem to be mostly about making the club bigger, instead on improving on what they had.
Additionally, my favorite LFS in the area, was not part of the club and the club office members despise. This was the only LFS in Orlando that rounitely got in cool fish. ORCA seems more coral focused then fish focused, which is probably true about the hobby in general.
I knew most of the cool people, bought stuff from them, they've been to my place to buy stuff. That was good enough for me. The 15% off for the few times I bought coral wasn't enough.
We made the jump from the other site about 3 or 4 years back.. Its worked out really well for us..
I would have to double check with MASNA but I believe that we are the largest local reef club in the country..
ARC Members: 713 (paid members)
Users: 4,369
Threads: 39,414

nigerbang,
where is dallas, ga? I am from HiltonHead. I am trying to find a reef club close, but I would be willing to travel, but 4 hours is a lot. do yall only meet in ATL?
~grace

ironeagle2006

Member of the BNARC or the Bloomington Normal Area Reef Club. Heck we have people from as far away as Champaign Urbana to the Quad Cities East and West and North South as Rockford and South as South of Springfield IL as members.