Long Nose Butterfly In Reef tank

ashersmom

Has anyone had any problems with a long nose in there reef tank? I purchased one and the associate said that they are reef safe. After I did some research, they are not. Just curious if any issues. Thanks for your time.

steelytom

It is pretty much a given that you just don't do it. I am pretty sure they will eat polyps. It would be best to take it back. They should not give you a problem since they gave you horrible advice. If they do give you a problem ask for any type of documentation that says they are reef safe. I doubt they will find it anywhere. They are cool fish though.

florida joe

Yellow Longnose Butterfly
Latin Name Forcipiger flavissimus
Common Name Yellow Longnose Butterfly
Also known as Longnosed butterfly
Fast Facts This interesting fish is a hardy aquarium resident. It often begins feeding sooner than other butterflies in captivity. This species will do best if kept in a peaceful community tank, however, it can be housed with moderately bold tankmates providing is acclimated to the tank before them, and you keep in mind this is a butterfly and not a trigger. When harassed, it will direct its long, stout dorsal spines towards the aggressor to defend itself. It is prudent to keep only one per aquarium, as it will often behave aggressively towards members of its own species.
Range in Nature Indo-Pacific
Minimum Aquarium Size 55
Diet and Feeding Carnivorous, feed marine fish, crustacean flesh, mysid shrimp and frozen preparations.
Ease of Care(5=easy, 1=difficult)
Reef Aquarium Compatibility Most individuals can be kept in a reef tank with most soft corals and small-polyped stony corals, although some may nip at large-polyped stony corals, certain soft corals (including xeniids and clavulariids) and zoanthids (e.g., Parazoanthus spp.).