Long Spine

T

tattooedlife

Is anyone else be sides me dumb enough to have a Long Spined Sea Urchin in there reef tank? Just recently noticed how much he loves coralline. I have a 55 gallon with about 50lbs. of figi rock. He probably needs to go, what do you think? He's gitting to be pretty big.

kass

I kept one in my 55 for yrs. Now I moved it to my 150 so it had more room. About the worse they do is knock things over. Yeah they might eat some coraline but it grows back. They are good for algae control and I think interesting to watch.

chessie

I also have one of those critters & have had him for quite awhile now. He does tend to knock over things periodically while cruisin' & munches on some coralline algae & other algae but that's all - haven't had any other problems. I think he's really neat & an interesting addition to the tank!

T

tattooedlife

Well, I got rid of the Urchin today. Trying to stay away from any thing that eats coralline. I traded him in and got a green brittle star. (To help keep my substrate stirred.) I do agree they are amazing creatures, but I'm trying to git rid of any thing that can be harmful in my reef.

krazzydart

nothing wrong with that.... I have Tuxedo Urchins in all my tanks (10) they do a good job cleaning and are neat to watch.....