Long Tentacle Anemone

bettym

Would Jebo 256 watt power compact light fixture withh 2 64 watt 10kdaylight lamps and 2 64 watt .03 actinic lamp's work for a long tentacle anemone?Please tell me yes.. :notsure:

dogstar

IMO, no. LTAs like to be in the sand so that means the light has to penatrate the whole depth of the tank and Flouresent does not penatrate very well.

bettym

Ok,thank's.Do you know if my light's would be good for anything?We are planning on getting a new lighting system but it will be awhile.

swlover

You could have some mushrooms, or curley q anemone. Curley q's like the rocks (well mine does) that way he will move to where he wants. I think curley's are the best anemone, no clown will host them but they are cool to watch..very elegant with all those long tenticals. Mine likes to wrap around my arm when I'm working on my tank. It feels very strange, he probes my skin, it's kinda creepy but cool at the same time. I put him on top of a rock and he has stayed there ever since, like king of the hill LOL. He gets along well with all the inverts in my tank and fish, I have seen my clowns swim in and out of his tents and he has never offered to catch them, matter of fact he is scared of them and retracts?? (for lack of a better word) from them. Well what ever you decide, good luck and keep us posted.

hottie

I bought a LTA last week - it was beautiful for about 4 days. After that, the ends of the tentacles turned green and shriveled up . . . it moved itself to the back of the tank and continued to shrivel. I called the fish store as I was not familiar with the "cycles" of an anemone. They informed me it was fine and that it was supposed to be doing that. 4 days later - dead. We were heartbroken. I have a 35gal Hex with one florescent and two incandescent (white and blue bulb). After speaking with the owner of the fish store, I have upgraded my lighting to two florescents (one white, one blue) and is ordering two new bulbs for the incandescent. I was not aware that the bulbs need to be changed every year (since our tank is used, I did not know when the bulbs were changed last). So, for the record, anemones tentacles are not supposed to "shrivel" - only deflate (which is MUCH different). Good luck with you anemone. I plan on getting another soon since this last one was so beautiful and made our two clowns giddy with delight.

L

lbaskball

Originally Posted by Hottie
I bought a LTA last week - it was beautiful for about 4 days. After that, the ends of the tentacles turned green and shriveled up . . . it moved itself to the back of the tank and continued to shrivel. I called the fish store as I was not familiar with the "cycles" of an anemone. They informed me it was fine and that it was supposed to be doing that. 4 days later - dead. We were heartbroken. I have a 35gal Hex with one florescent and two incandescent (white and blue bulb). After speaking with the owner of the fish store, I have upgraded my lighting to two florescents (one white, one blue) and is ordering two new bulbs for the incandescent. I was not aware that the bulbs need to be changed every year (since our tank is used, I did not know when the bulbs were changed last). So, for the record, anemones tentacles are not supposed to "shrivel" - only deflate (which is MUCH different). Good luck with you anemone. I plan on getting another soon since this last one was so beautiful and made our two clowns giddy with delight.

I think your next one might die as well because you need to have strong lighting. I would say at least 5watts per gal. My tank has 7 watts per gallon with metal halide lighting.

hottie

Is there a difference between blue light and white light? Also, with a 35gal hex, calculated at 7 watts per gal - the least amount of light to support an anemone would be 245 watts - or is the calculation different for a hex tank vs. rectangular or triangle corner tank?

L

lbaskball

Originally Posted by Hottie
Is there a difference between blue light and white light? Also, with a 35gal hex, calculated at 7 watts per gal - the least amount of light to support an anemone would be 245 watts - or is the calculation different for a hex tank vs. rectangular or triangle corner tank?
Im not sure if the calculation is different, I divide how much gallons in the tank by the total watts to get watts per gallon. But you have to take in account how deep the tank is too. You can have 7watts per gallon and have a tank that is 30inchs long..and the light wont penetrate as much and I would think you need more watts then 7 if that is the case. You said the least amount of watts need to support an anemone is 245? I think if you have Metal Halides at least 70watts or 150watts in a nano you should be okay. The only difference between blue light is they are blue..unless you are talkin about actinics. I heard you can actually have all actinics instead of white light.
If you look on the internet, there are websites that helps you calculate how much watts per gallon you have according to your dimensions of the tank, including the depth.

alyssia

I have a lta under PC lighting (260 watts on a 55). It was sold to me as a bta (I was a newbie and I didn't know any better) it's on the sand and I've had it for almost a year and it has gotten huge.