long tentacled(atlantic anemone) shrinking!!!

physcoben

hello i bought this anemone a few days ago and its shrinking. it doesnt look healthy, the water conditions are all in check, and i have two aquaray bulbs (made by GE), my fish guy said it should be fine. it came from the carribean. i tried to feed it some Formula two frozen fish food on the first day but the next day he regurgitated it.the F2 has seafood and plant matter in it.so other than that he hasnt eaten in 3-4 days. what do i do?

nosmada

how many watts are your bulbe and what kind? i may be jumping to a conclusion here but, you may not have nearly enough light, especially in a 90 gal. to keep that anem. keep a close eye on it and dont let it die in your tank as it may expell a toxic waist that can be letahl to your tank.
hth,
chris

nosmada

i also forgot to add that when i did a water change and tried to lower my SG i went too much too quick and after that my anem. died shortly after that. you may have not acclimated him correctly and the change in salinity from the LFS to your tank may have been too much. just another thought.
chris

kelly

It could be lighting, but I doubt that it would cause the problem so quickly. Sometimes anenomes just close up for a while. Is it on the move? I normally feed anenomes silversides. If it was not acclimated properly, that could also be the problem. Wait a few days to see what happens, you could also move it closer to the lights and see if that helps.
[ October 01, 2001: Message edited by: Kelly ]

physcoben

thanks for the info guys, it turned out that all he needed was some food and to be moved a little closer to the lights, he's happy now